Boston University Police Alert: Sexual Assault
Please see detailed information below regarding several concerning incidents that have occurred on campus. BUPD is providing this information to help you make informed decisions and to help keep our community safe.
Incident #1: On Friday, 05/13/2022 at 11:45 p.m., a BU student reported that an unknown person forced his way into their apartment and assaulted the student. This person was unknown to the student. Student was able to fight this person off and call police. Police have not located the suspect.
Suspect: The suspect is described as being late 20’s to early 30 years of age, dark skin, with a thin build and carrying a black backpack.
Incident #2: On 05/13/2022 at 11:54 p.m., three BU students walking together reported that they were aggressively followed and offered a ride by an unknown person. The suspect followed them from Granby St. over to South Campus where they were able to use and emergency call box to notify police. Police have not located the suspect.
Suspect: The suspect is described as a male with dark skin driving a newer model Ford pickup truck colored silver or gray.
Follow Up: The BUPD is actively investigating whether these incidents are related to each other. We encourage anyone who may have information to come forward and share information with the BUPD at (617) 353-2121. Community members wishing to assist this investigation anonymously can do so by texting the word ‘BU’ to TIP411 (847911). The BUPD will protect the identities of all those who wish to assist this investigation in an anonymous manner.
The following is provided as a reminder to our BU Community:
Sexual Assault Reporting Resources on Campus
BU Police Department: BUPD has specially trained officers to investigate sexual assaults. BU Police will make every effort to offer survivors a choice to speak with a male or female officer. In addition, the BU Police will help a survivor, who wishes to do so, make contact with helpful resources both on or off campus. 617-353-2121 www.bu.edu/police
Sexual Assault Response and Prevention (SARP): For emotional support, assistance in reporting, and to learn more about your available options, contact Sexual Assault Response and Prevention (SARP), Boston University’s primary, confidential, on-campus resource for issues pertaining to sexual assault, stalking, sexual harassment and domestic/dating violence. 617-353-7277 http://www.bu.edu/shs/sarp
BU Title IX Coordinator: Responds to complaints of sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment and sexual violence and will take immediate action to eliminate the offending conduct, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects. 617-353-9286 http://www.bu.edu/safety/sexual-misconduct/title-ix-bu-policies/
BU Dean of Students Office of Judicial Affairs: Handles all BU student judicial conduct cases and is the primary administrator of the Code of Student Responsibilities. The Student Code is a body of principles consisting of the University’s expectations of its students, provisions for sanctioning rule violations, and due process mechanisms. 617-358-0700 http://www.bu.edu/dos/ja/
Off Campus Resources:
- Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) 1-800-841-8371 | www.barcc.org
- SAFELINK Domestic Violence Hotline 1-877-785-2020
- Victim Rights Law Center 617-399-6720 | www.victimrights.org
Risk reduction/Safety precautions:
- Rape and sexual assault are never the fault of the survivor. Responsibility lies with the perpetrator. No one deserves, asks for, or provokes sexual assault.
- The most common type of sexual assault occurs between individuals known to one another. Sexual assault occurs in all communities and people of all genders can be survivors.
- Never get into a vehicle with a person you do not know. Be sure to double check the license plate on ride share apps.
- Do not prop doors to your building.
- Do not sign guests into your building unless you know the person.
- Do not allow people into your building unless you know them. If you feel uncomfortable confronting someone about this call BUPD and we will come to assist you.
- Sexual assault is any sexual activity that occurs in the absence of consent. If you engage in sex, be sure you understand your partner’s limits, and communicate your own limits. Do not engage in sexual activities without affirmative consent from your partner(s).
See Something Say Something
- If you do not feel comfortable intervening in any situation, notify someone who can (party host, a friend, BU Police, 911, etc.).
- Program your cell phone with the BU Police emergency number 617-353-2121. Call this number if you become uncomfortable in any situation on or near the BU Charles River, Fenway or Medical Campus. We are ready to respond to your calls 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If you are off campus call
- Text BUPD anonymously by texting “BU” to 847411.
Additional considerations for your safety
- If you feel threatened on campus, look for a Blue Light emergency telephone or dial 3-2121 from any on campus telephone.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Trust your intuition – if a particular makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative.
- Let your friends know when you are leaving and arriving at your destination at the end of the night.
Sexual Assault Programs and Procedures
Boston University is committed to educating the campus community in ways to prevent sexual assault. Throughout the academic year and during orientation, SARP, Student Health Services, the Office of the Dean of Students, the BU Police, and certain student organizations deliver educational programs to parents, students, employees, and other members of the community. These sessions provide information on preventing sexual assault and rape, supporting friends who are survivors of sexual assault, security programs, and on being a pro-social bystander.
Boston University Police Department
WHAT IS THIS NOTICE?
This notice is a timely warning message. Boston University Police has information to share about a crime on campus.
FEEDBACK: We welcome your feedback to help make our messages better. Please send to email@example.com