Crime Alert – Robberies Near West Campus
Date: November 16, 2021
Below please find detailed information from BUPD regarding two robbery incidents that recently occurred near the Charles River Campus.
Summary of Incidents:
Incident # 1: On Monday 11/15/2021 at 10:00 a.m. near the intersection of Babcock St and Commonwealth Ave., a victim reported that they were approached by two individuals while waiting at the bus stop who demanded the victim’s property. The victim was able to run away from the suspects after being assaulted by one of them. The suspects were described as two young males (possibly high-school-aged). One was described as tall possibly 6 feet in height wearing a beige-colored jacket. The second was described as about 5’7” in height wearing a green baseball cap. The two suspects fled outbound on Commonwealth Ave. BUPD and the Transit Police conducted a search for the suspects and they were not located.
Incident # 2: On Monday 11/15/2021 at 9:30 p.m. on Ashford St. near the intersection of Ashford Ct., a victim reported that they were approached by a group of about six male teenagers who surrounded the victim, reaching into the victim’s pocket and taking property from the victim. The suspects were described as wearing dark clothing with one of the suspects wearing a white sweatshirt.
The Boston University Police and Boston Police Department are actively reviewing the facts and circumstances surrounding these incidents and are encouraging anyone who may have information about these incidents to come forward and contact the Boston University Police at (617) 353-2121 or the Boston Police Department at (617) 343-4256.
Community members wishing to assist this investigation anonymously can do so by contacting the Boston Police Department either by calling the Crime Stoppers Tip Line at 1 (800) 494-TIPS or by texting the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463). The Boston Police Department will stringently guard and protect the identities of all those who wish to assist this investigation in an anonymous manner.
The following is provided as a reminder to our BU Community:
Risk reduction/Safety precautions:
- If you do not feel comfortable intervening in any situation, notify someone who can (BU Police, 911, etc.).
- If you are confronted by someone who demands your property, you should give the person the property. Your safety is the priority, property can be replaced.
- Program your cell phone with the BU Police emergency number 617-353-2121. Call this number if you become uncomfortable in any situation on or near the BU Charles River, Fenway, or Medical Campuses. We are ready to respond to your calls 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If you are off-campus call 9-1-1.
- Text BUPD anonymously by texting “BU” to 847411.
- If you feel threatened on campus, look for a Blue Light emergency telephone or dial 3-2121 from any on-campus telephone.
- Utilize Scarlet Safe Walk 617-353-4877 or public transportation.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Trust your intuition – if a situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, get away or call for help.
Boston University Police Department
32 Harry Agganis Way
Boston, MA 02215