Professional Development & Travel Awards
PDPA offers travel awards for BU postdocs to pursue opportunities for their professional development. This may include traveling to opportunities external to campus (e.g. presenting at a conference), or registration fees associated with virtual events.
We accept and review proposals three times per year using the application process described below.
Applications are open to any individual with a postdoc appointment at Boston University, though scholars may only receive one award during the duration of their postdoc.
There are two kinds of travel awards based on the availability of funding.
1. PDPA Travel Award, which is entirely based on financial need, where the postdoc would be attending the conference solely with their personal funds. There will be 2 awards of $500 each for every cycle in this category.
2. BU Postdoc Travel Award, this award is for those postdocs who have some financial support either from their PI or administrative units or other sources. There will be one award of $1000 for every cycle in this category.
Applications are reviewed by faculty from a broad range of disciplines, so please ensure that you are able to communicate to a broad audience. Both travel grant applications will be evaluated using the following selection criteria:
- Value of the professional development opportunity as described in application and/or letter of support.
- Merit of research demonstrated by research abstract, or strength of connection between professional development opportunity and candidate’s research as described in course/workshop description.
- Merit of the individual’s research background and scholarly activities as described on their CV/resume.
Submission Deadlines and Award Dates
This award has three review cycles per year. The deadlines for each cycle are:
|Submission Deadline||Award Issue Date|
|September 21, 2023||Mid-October|
|December 20, 2023||Mid-January|
|March 10, 2024||Mid-April|
Electronic submission is required using the form below. PI letters of support can be sent separately to email@example.com, but must be received by the award cycle deadline. Applications without a letter of support will not be considered for funding.