Within the Pardee School
The Pardee School offers a number of career resources to our undergraduate and graduate students.
- Michael T. Corgan Internship Fund: Apply for a stipend for unpaid summer internships in the area of international affairs. Qualified internships must meet eligibility guidelines.
- Travel Grants: Apply for funds to support travel and research in the U.S. and abroad.
- Internships: A compilation of internships that will expose students and recent graduates to work related to international affairs. Updated at least weekly.
- Jobs: A compilation of jobs that are primarily entry-level and are seeking applicants with a background/interest in international affairs. Updated at least weekly.
- Special Opportunities: A compilation of professional development programs and other opportunities within international affairs. Many programs are aimed at diversifying the international affairs field. Various deadlines and eligibility requirements.
- Pardee Works: A series of events designed to prepare students for job searching and understanding the various career paths within international affairs.
- Graduate Assistantships: Graduate students are encouraged to apply to assist faculty with their research and projects.
- Graduate Trip to Washington D.C.: Networking and employer site visits during spring break.
- Advising: Talk with your Faculty Mentor or your Academic Advisor about your career interests and goals.
Within Boston University
- Center for Career Development (CCD): Career and job searching advice, job postings, and employer information sessions available to all BU students.
- International Students: Learn about getting on-campus work authorization or pursuing Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) through the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).
- Pre-Law Advising: Advice for undergraduate students interested in applying to law school or pursuing careers in the legal field.
- Study Abroad Internships: Multiple BU Study Abroad programs feature the opportunity to gain work experience through internships.
- Student Employment Office: Gain work experience and earn money through an on-campus or off-campus job.
- BUConnects: A platform for seeking mentoring and career advice from BU alumni, faculty, staff, and other students.
Fellowships and Scholarships
BU Fellowships and Scholarships Office: Provides information and resources about opportunities to develop yourself through education, travel, and work. Many programs have an emphasis on international affairs and would be a good match for Pardee School students.
Possibilities in Boston
Boston area organizations: The Boston area has many organizations, businesses, and government offices that do work related to international affairs. Explore these organizations’ websites to learn about the work they do. Learning about these groups may help you clarify the type of place where you want to work in the future. Do not limit yourself to this list.
Resources Related to the U.S. Federal Government
U.S. citizens are encouraged to consider a career in public service by working for the U.S. federal government. Include below are a few quick links to some key resources.
- Virtual Student Federal Service: Every July, the U.S. Government hires hundreds of unpaid interns to work virtually in many government agencies.
- U.S. Department of State: Runs multiple internship and fellowship programs.
- USAJobs Employment Events: Attend an on-line event, hosted by the Office of Personnel Management, to learn more about applying for jobs with the U.S. Federal Government.
- USAJobs: Is the database and application system for all internships and jobs.
- U.S. Foreign Service Officer PRACTICE Test
Additional Job/Internship Listings
A number of external organizations/companies have resources and job/internship listings that may be helpful.
- Work Visa USA: Source of information about work visas in the U.S. and employers that may be open to hiring those on a work visa.
- Boston Network for International Development: Groups and individuals concerned with international development and global justice.
- United Nations Association of Greater Boston: Gain practical work experience related to the United Nations.
- DevEx Global Development: Jobs and news related to global development.
- Idealist and PCDN: Compilation of internships and jobs that promote social change/social good.
- Foreign Affairs Career Center: A compilation of news and job postings related to foreign affairs.
- Daybook: Compilation of internships and jobs related to public policy, politics, and non-profits.
Internships.com: Compilation of internships and jobs in fields like communication, business, and more.