Najam Delivers Distinguished Lecture at Sustainable Development Policy Institute
On March 31, 2022, Adil Najam, Dean of the Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies at Boston University, was invited to give a distinguished lecture at the Sustainable Development Institute (SDPI), Pakistan’s leading policy think tank in Islamabad.
In his remarks, Najam brought together a number of themes and suggested that the world is experiencing a “fundamental and structural shift,” a far cry from the normal process of global evolution. The five shifts he said were redefining our world were as follows:
- Global power shifts in the balance of great powers;
- A Major climate shift with the arrival of the Age of Adaptation;
- A fundamental shift in work, profound because of how we work as well as what counts as work;
- An information shift led by the emergence of artificial intelligence, and;
- A democracy shift where citizens around the world are demanding greater and more immediate action from democracies.
To view a recording of Najam’s lecture, click here.
Adil Najam is a global public policy expert who also served as the Vice-Chancellor of the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan. He is the Inaugural Dean of the Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies at Boston University and was the former Vice-Chancellor of the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS). His research focuses on issues of global public policy, especially those related to global climate change, South Asia, Muslim countries, environment and development, and human development. Read more about Dean Najam on his faculty profile.