Fellow Spotlight: Abbi Monssen

Abbi Monssen, MPH ’20

Certificates: Health Communication & PromotionProgram Management

Fellowship Placement: Maternal and Child Health Center of Excellence

Communications Fellow

April 2019 – December 2019

Describe your Fellowship

As a fellow for BUSPH’s Maternal and Child Health Center of Excellence (MCHCoE), I am responsible for managing the Center’s social media, website, and various outreach activities. In this position, I write and create content for Facebook and linkedin, and have started the Center’s twitter account. In addition, I am currently designing a new website for the Center of Excellence to describe the Center’s work, post job opportunities, provide information about fellowships, and highlight maternal and child health research, networking, and opportunities at BUSPH, in Boston, and nationally. Lastly, I will get the opportunity to advertise the Center’s upcoming annual Webinar with Harvard. 

What has been the best part about working with MCHCoE? 

The best part about working with the MCHCoE is having a lot of responsibility. As the manager of the Center’s social media and coming website, I have had the opportunity to work on these projects individually with the support of Center faculty. It has given me a chance to be creative, learn new things, and constantly work on new ideas!

What has surprised you most about working with MCHCoE? 

I was most surprised by the amount of thought and effort that goes into creating social media content. While I’ve posted photos and tweets on my personal accounts, its very different to navigate creating and writing content for an academic center– still trying to figure it out.

What has been the most meaningful thing you have learned at MCHCoE? 

The most meaningful thing I’ve learned as a fellow for the MCHCoE is how to develop a ‘voice’ in social media posts when working for an academic center. I think this is a great skill to have that I will be able to use and apply to future communications positions. Additionally, learning is how to problem solve and use WordPress to design a website has been a very valuable skill I’ve learned.

Anything else interesting about your summer? 

This summer I also interned at the Population Health Exchange office at BUSPH. I was able to gain experience in both communications and program management. By working with PHX and the MCHCoE at the same time, I was able to learn new skills and apply them to both positions.