Operations Coordinator (Non-Profit/Full Time)
Yleana Leadership Academy
The Yleana Leadership Academy is seeking a full-time, year-round Operations Coordinator to start upon his/her college graduation in May 2019. Major areas of responsibility include driving revenue to our for-profit arm through sales and marketing of an extant product, overseeing budgeting and finance as well as spearheading programs and general operations duties. This position has enormous opportunity for growth and is an excellent way to learn all aspects of operating a successful non-profit organization. The Operations Coordinator will also have the opportunity to explore relevant areas such as fundraising/grant-writing, event planning, youth development, and curriculum development.
What is Yleana?
We take pride in serving rising high school seniors from underserved urban areas as part of our mission to close the achievement gap through a three-week transformative summer SAT experience on a college campus. We are part college experience, part summer camp, part intense SAT training, and part leadership academy.
Our students are all low-income, and the majority are first generation students of color. All of our students attend on full scholarship and describe Yleana as one of the most “transformative experiences” they have had – they return to their schools with a renewed dedication to their education and the real sense that they can succeed in whatever they choose to do in life.
Yleana at its best is made up of people who are constantly generating new and better ways to do things, drawing on what they have seen, read, and experienced, who replace “I can’t do that” with “Let’s make it happen.” We hire staff who can improvise, who are creative, and who approach problems in creative, unexpected ways.
Yleana has recently acquired the for-profit version of itself, Socratic Summer Academy – the model SAT camp on which Yleana is based. Increasing revenue for SSA means more funding for Yleana. One of the primary responsibilities of this position will be finding creative ways to drive revenue to SSA, thus ensuring the health of Yleana as an organization.
To understand the Yleana experience, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzrQK.
- 35%: Sales/marketing/public relations planning for SSA (for-profit arm of Yleana; drives revenue to non-profit)
- Making/maintaining contacts at private schools/high schools
- Calling/following up with leads generated by ads
- Presenting SSA in a variety of situations
- May include travel
- 30%: Administrative and operational tasks as needed for both Yleana and SSA
- Operations/non-profit management such as helping recruit summer staff, communicating with board members and donors
- Communicating with:
- Students: future, alums and current cohort
- Partner organizations
- Help plan and conduct summer programming
- May include helping to develop/tweak curriculum
- 20%: Expense tracking and budgeting
- 10%: Grant research and writing, fundraising, preparation of necessary materials
- 5%: Personal area of interest
- Summer: depends on your particular aptitude (programs or admin or teaching)
- May include instructing students in the SAT (critical reading, writing, math, and essay) at our summer program
- May include running programs for camp
- May include being the program administrator for SSA and/or Yleana
We are looking for someone who is comfortable with and willing to take on multiple roles. The Operations Coordinator should be interested in both the quantity and breadth of work entailed in a startup/non-profit as well as the mission of the organization. A crucial part of the Operations Coordinator’s duties will include assisting senior staff with logistics/planning for the entire year; the ultimate goal is to execute two 3-week summer sessions of approximately 40 students on two college campuses (Colgate University and Mount Holyoke College), one of which will run concurrently with SSA (our for-profit arm).
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are graduating with a BA/BS degree spring 2019
- Have relevant experience (highly preferred) in:
- Managing others in a position of leadership
- Are excited about working in a startup environment and understand the concomitant flexibility of roles, ability to juggle multiple tasks concurrently, self-motivation, time commitment, and dedication required by this environment
- Have experience using Google Drive (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and Google Calendar
- Have exceptional organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Are comfortable working both in a team and independently
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks in the long-term and short-term
- Communicate effectively with managers and co-workers
- Use correct grammar and punctuation
- Are comfortable working with new and current technology
- Adapt quickly to unforeseen problems and find creative solutions
- Have a passion for helping students from historically marginalized communities succeed in graduating high school and matriculating to college
Compensation, Working Arrangement, and Benefits
Because we run a camp over the summer, the Operations Coordinator will be required to live with us at camp (likely Colgate University and Mount Holyoke College). You will receive full room and board for the duration of camp.
The Operations Coordinator’s salary will range between $32,500-$42,500, depending on experience and demonstrated capacity. This position includes health benefits and 2 weeks of paid vacation. Pay is commensurate with experience. During the non-camp portion of the year, the position is based in NYC, with the option to work from home 20-40% of the time after onboarding, upon agreement with Yleana’s Executive Director.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please tell us where you heard about the opportunity, why you feel connected to our population, and why you want to work for Yleana. You may be asked to take an SAT-based assessment.
The next priority application deadline is April 15, 2019. We hire on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better.
Diversity and equal opportunity are at the core of Yleana and our mission. We are committed to building a team that reflects the world, as well as our student cohort. People who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested in applying?
Send your resume and cover letter to
In your cover letter, please tell us where you heard about the opportunity, why you feel connected to our population, and why you want to work for Yleana.
Please be prepared to take a diagnostic test, composed
of pieces of the SAT, as part of the hiring process
Questions? Email email@example.com