Are you an F-1 student who will continue enrollment at BU? If so, you must complete F-1 Semester Verification each semester.
Why do F-1 Students Need to Do This?
Federal regulations require BU to notify the Department of Homeland Security about the physical presence and registration of every F-1 student each academic (Fall and Spring) semester. We do this via your SEVIS record, once you have verified that you have returned and are registered for a full course of study.
Is the Summer Session Your Final Semester at BU?
If so, you will need to complete the Semester Verification process for the Summer term. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Register for the courses you need and apply for graduation within your school/college/department.
- Complete the Summer Semester Verification Form. If you are registered for a full courseload (8 credits total if completing your program at the end of Summer I, 12 credits total if completing your program at the end of Summer II), read P. 2 of the form carefully. If you need less than a full courseload to graduate, read P. 2 and 3 of the form carefully.
- Submit the completed, signed form along with a PDF version of your I-94 information via e-mail to your ISSO advisor.
- Your advisor will complete your Semester Verification within 10 business days of receiving the form. They will contact you if any additional information is needed from you. Depending on the program completion date on your I-20, you may receive a new I-20. Your advisor will notify you if/when this is ready.
- Need to drop a class? Check the appropriate box on the Summer Semester Verification Form and your advisor will assist you in completing this with the University Registrar.
Completing Semester Verification
To request Semester Verification, you can either report to the ISSO or to a designated administrator for your college/school/program. Remember: As an F-1 student, you are required to maintain full-time registration each semester.
Select your college/school from the list below to determine where you can complete your Semester Verification. If your college/school is not listed, please visit the ISSO.
Once you have completed Semester Verification and you have registered for full-time coursework, the ISSO will notify the Department of Homeland Security of your enrollment through SEVIS.
Remote Semester Verification can only be done via your ISSO advisor. This option is available for students who are registered for courses but who may not be physically located on the BU campus. For example, if you are studying abroad for a semester or conducting research toward your degree at another location, you will still be required to complete the F-1 Semester Verification process. Please contact your ISSO advisor to discuss this option.
Questions about the Semester Verification process can be answered at the ISSO or by your international student advisor.