SEVP Portal for OPT and STEM OPT Reporting
On March 23, 2018, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) launched a new SEVP Portal to assist F-1 students on post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM OPT to report limited personal and employer information to their Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) immigration record.
There are a few things you should know about this new SEVP Portal:
1. The new SEVP Portal is designed to help students meet specific OPT and STEM OPT reporting requirements. The new portal will allow you to report your US residential, mailing addresses, and phone number, and to add or edit your OPT employer (for post-completion OPT only).
2. Use of the SEVP Portal will allow you to report some of your required information directly to SEVP and to monitor your record of employment in SEVIS. If you choose to create a SEVP Portal account, you will have view access to the employer information listed in your SEVIS record and will be able to make updates to certain fields.
3. You are still required to report personal and OPT and STEM OPT employer information to BU throughout the duration of your OPT or STEM OPT. Whether or not you choose to create a SEVP Portal account, you must still take the following steps to meet your reporting requirements and keep your BU and SEVIS records up-to-date:
- Maintain up-to-date “U.S. Immigration” and “OPT Employer” address in the BU Student Link.
- Use the ISSO OPT Web Portal to submit a copy of your approved Employment Authorization Document (EAD), and end of employment notifications.
- If you are on STEM OPT, you must also meet additional STEM OPT Reporting Requirements, including submitting Form I-983 Training Plan, six-month validations, and 12-month and final evaluations.
4. Watch for an email invitation sent to you directly from SEVP. Once your OPT or STEM OPT is approved and the start date of your OPT is current, you will receive an email to set up a SEVP Portal account from the email address: do-not-reply.SEVP@ice.dhs.gov. Please make certain that you are only responding to emails and opening links from this trusted email address.
Be careful of email scammers or “phishing” attempts. See further information about avoiding immigration scams, about common scams targeting international students, as well as information from BU Information Security about fighting phishing.
For more detailed about the new SEVP Portal information see: