Dear Innovate@BU Community,
Happy National Entrepreneurs Day!
I’d like to take the opportunity to give a few updates.
In just the past couple of months, we’ve:
- Hosted our largest IDEA Con ever in partnership with Tufts University, UMass Lowell, and the University of New Hampshire;
- Awarded $10,000 in prize money to JoinMe for winning the BU Cannabis Startup Competition, which is supported by Green Lion Partners, a company founded by two BU alumni;
- Selected seven projects to receive $500 Sustainability Innovation Seed Grants in partnership with BU Sustainability;
- Assembled a coalition of 10 centers, initiatives, and more to support our BU Climate Innovation Challenge, which will award $15,000 in prizes to ideas that help Boston not just survive, but thrive in the face of climate adversity;
- Hosted many distinguished guests for workshops, from former Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker (an event put on in collaboration with the BU Initiative on Cities) to inspiring, entrepreneurial alums like Jashin Lin of Growbie and Ellice Patterson of Abilities Dance Boston.
Notice a pattern?
Our best, most exciting work has been made possible through collaboration—often cross-disciplinary collaboration. This approach brings together unique ideas and skills that lead to innovative outcomes that just wouldn’t be possible if we had tried to go solo.
I believe this spirit of collaboration is also why Boston University has been steadily moving up in the Princeton Review’s rankings to being recently ranked #4 in the Northeast region for both our undergraduate and graduate entrepreneurship programs.
As President Brown put it in his farewell address to the BU community:
“We believed the world would put a premium on graduates who excel working across disciplines and on interdisciplinary research and scholarship that offers solutions to society’s greatest challenges.
Our plan is working.”
Have a fantastic Thanksgiving break, and thank you for being part of our community.
Executive Director, Innovate@BU
P.S. I hope you’ll join us at the Cross-University Student Innovators Mixer on December 7 at 5:00pm that is being held right here at BU. There will be hundreds of students from dozens of schools across the Greater Boston area, so it’s a perfect opportunity to meet your next collaborator, co-founder, or friend.