Next week, 22 BU-led student startups will pitch in the New Venture Competition semi-finals! As our community adjusts to virtual platforms, the 22 semi-finalists have forged ahead and have continued to make progress on their tech and social impact ventures.
The annual New Venture Competition is a three-round pitch competition open to current students and recent alumni and is made up of two tracks: tech ideas and social impact ideas.
After next week’s semi-final virtual pitches, eleven teams will move on to the third and final round, getting them one step closer to the $18,00 grand prize. During the final round, three teams from each track will be awarded 1st ($18,000), 2nd ($8,000), and 3rd ($6,000) prizes.
Details about a virtual finale event will be announced soon.
Meet the 22 semi-finalists
- VYVID XR is developing innovative technology to improve surgical training, enhance clinical decision making, and increase patient care by using Mixed Reality beginning with Cardiovascular.
- Holdette makes women’s workwear with real pockets for millennial and Gen Z women.
- Parkaze is a hassle-free shared economy marketplace where you can host and rent privately owned parking spots.
- Kahila is an all-inclusive buoyant protective case that delivers the ability for consumers to engage in water sports without the fear of losing their Apple Watch in the water.
- Clean Seat has designed a retrofittable product that will help keep toilet seats clean in public restrooms. It can be installed like a normal toilet seat and can be manufactured at a price point and durability factor.
- Home Concierge is a platform to connect customers with qualified professionals to meet their needs and desire.
- CineConnect is a website for the independent filmmaking community to connect with each other, find collaborators on projects, and learn/share about the craft of filmmaking.
- Exoskeleton is a device is being developed for spinal cord injury patients and industrial workers. The device will aid in their rehabilitation by allowing them to move in ways that were previously impossible.
- OpenAir Project is a mobile environment sensing platform that will allow us to build real-time air quality maps, helping cities locate sources of pollution and inform residents of air quality-related health hazards.
- Go Off! is a social platform that has re-engineered the way to have a conversation online. While technology has allowed us to connect with people thousands of miles away, we can barely find genuine connections with the people we live near. This app allows users to have text message like conversations next to trending media that present issues of interest and connect with others in local proximity about those issues which cultivates a local community.
Social Impact Track:
- Surge Employment Solutions secures staffing contracts with companies that have forecasted human capital needs, after which we source, train, and place formerly incarcerated individuals into those positions.
- Community Connect is an early-stage nonprofit startup that helps social workers to easily share up-to-date information about services with their patients.
- Winter Athlete Foundation is a student-run non-profit organization that provides career services to winter Olympic athletes, including resume and cover letter writing, as well as recommendation letter sourcing.
- Organicin Scientific is developing sustainable biopesticides in response to the “slow-motion tsunami” that is antimicrobial resistance.
- Forget-Me-Not is a mental health management iOS app providing tools like journaling, medication reminders, and progress reports to help people with bipolar/depressive disorder recover and communicate with counselors.
- Every Hand is a Hero aims to enhance collaboration among child welfare agencies in combating child sex trafficking through training and prevention/intervention strategies.
- SpecGraphix EDU is an innovative public after-school program offering live digital media classes, as well as educational Minecraft classes. The program includes an online student portal with video tutorials and more.
- SeaGreen Co. aims to open an on-campus store called that sells low waste and plastic-free alternatives to the products we buy in convenience stores.
- The Mindful Applicant brings a social-emotional skills curriculum to the college process to improve student wellbeing and redefine the way we think about post-secondary readiness.
- Urban Refuge is an aid-mapping app that works to bridge the gap between refugees and other underserved populations and the organizations that are actively working to help them.
- Phillinda is revolutionizing the language translation industry with cutting-edge technology. Visa applications, medical and tax documents will never be the same. Welcome to Phillinda Space – Fill in the Space.
- Patient Response is a personalized and customizable electronic health system that connects patients, providers, and pharmacies in low-resourced countries.