At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits
OptumRx: Coverage of At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits
Effective Saturday, January 15, 2022, you and your dependents covered under the BU Health Plans will be able to seek reimbursement for at-home COVID-19 diagnostic tests per calendar month, as announced by the Departments of Labor, Treasury and U.S. Health and Human Services.
What You Need to Know
If you are enrolled in any of the BU Health Plans, you are eligible for reimbursement of up to 8 at-home COVID-19 diagnostic tests per month for each enrolled member in the plan as of Saturday, January 15th.
If you have health plan coverage outside of the University, please check with your health plan provider for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of tests are eligible for reimbursement?
- Coverage includes OTC at-home COVID-19 test kits authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The most common tests are the following brands: BinaxNOW™, CLINITEST®, Flowflex™, i-Health®, InteliSwab™, On/Go™, QuickVue® and At-home test kits (Roche).
- This includes tests obtained without a health care provider’s order or authorization.
- How are the tests covered?
Coverage for the at-home COVID-19 test will be provided by your BU Health Plan Prescription Drug provider, OptumRx. Below are options for coverage of At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits:
- Kinney Drug, Rite Aid, Sam’s Club, Walgreens or Walmart: You will not pay a copay or coinsurance if you purchase the at-home COVID-19 test at a Kinney Drug, Rite Aid, Sam’s Club, Walgreens or Walmart under either one of the BU Health Plans by presenting your OptumRx member card.
- Optum Store: Order at-home COVID-19 tests online with $0 copay or coinsurance through Optum Store. Members are limited to 8 tests (4 kits) per household per calendar month at the Optum Store. Get free shipping on orders of $45+. (Requires sign-in to optumrx.com)
- Sign in to optumrx.com and go to Get at-home COVID-19 tests with $0 copay. Click the order now link. Smartphone users will need to scroll down to find the link.
- Other Retailers: If you purchase the At-Home COVID-19 test from a retailer other than Kinney Drug, Rite Aid, Sam’s Club, Walgreens or Walmart, OptumRx will reimburse you up to $12 per test. Please save the receipt (paper or electronic) for all tests purchased beginning on January 15, 2022 to submit to OptumRx.
- Claim Forms: Members should use this online claim form or this mail-in reimbursement form to be reimbursed. OptumRx will also be expanding the retail network for at-home COVID-19 tests beyond Kinney Drug, Rite Aid, Sam’s Club, Walgreens or Walmart in the near future.
Visit optumrx.com/testinfo for the latest updates and information.
- Can I use at-home tests to fulfill any of the BU COVID-19 testing requirements?