COVID-19: Important Health Plan and FSA Information
OptumRx: Coverage of At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits
Effective Saturday, January 15, 2022, you and your dependents covered under the BU Health Plans will be able to seek reimbursement for at-home COVID-19 diagnostic tests per calendar month, as announced by the Departments of Labor, Treasury and U.S. Health and Human Services.
What You Need to Know
If you are enrolled in any of the BU Health Plans, you are eligible for reimbursement of up to 8 at-home COVID-19 diagnostic tests per month for each enrolled member in the plan as of Saturday, January 15th.
If you have health plan coverage outside of the University, please check with your health plan provider for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of tests are eligible for reimbursement?
- All over the counter COVID-19 at-home diagnostic tests which have FDA Emergency Use Authorization as shown below
- This includes tests obtained without a health care provider’s order or authorization.
|Product ID||Product Label|
|82607066026||Flowflex Kit Home Test|
|14613033968||Quickvue Home Kit Covid-19|
|14613033972||Quickvue Home Kit Covid-19|
|56964000000||Ellume Cov19 Kit Home Test|
|11877001140||Binaxnow Cov Kit Home Test|
|08337000158||Inteliswab Kit Covid-19|
|50021086001||Ellume Cov19 Kit Home Test|
|60006019166||On/Go Covid Kit Antigen|
|82607066027||Flowflex Kit Test|
- How are the tests covered?
- Coverage for the at-home COVID-19 test will be provided by your BU Health Plan Prescription Drug provider, OptumRx.
- You will not pay a copay or coinsurance if you purchase the at-home COVID-19 test at a Walmart or Rite Aid under either one of the BU Health Plans by presenting your OptumRx member card.
- If you purchase the At-Home COVID-19 test from a retailer other than Walmart or Rite Aid, OptumRx will reimburse you up to $12 per test. Please save the receipt (paper or electronic) for all tests purchased beginning on January 15, 2022 to submit to OptumRx.
- Members should use this online claim form or this mail-in reimbursement form to be reimbursed.
- OptumRx will also be expanding the retail network for at-home COVID-19 tests beyond Walmart and Rite Aid in the near future.
- Can I use at-home tests to fulfill any of the BU COVID-19 testing requirements?