Graduate Maintenance Requests

Students can request maintenance service of a routine nature by completing a maintenance request form at their residence office, which will forward it to the Facilities Management & Operations staff.

For furniture and appliance maintenance, submit a request on the Graduate Housing Portal portal. 

If a problem is not resolved, let your resident assistant know or go to your residence office. We want to make sure your requests are being addressed.

For emergencies only, call the Facilities Management & Operations 24-hour service line: 617-353-2105.