Graduate Furniture & Appliances

For any questions or concerns regarding furniture and appliances please email Residence Services at

Some things we’ve taken care of. Some things you’ll need to bring with you.

All of our on-campus rooms come furnished with a bed, dresser, nightstand, desk, desk carrel, and desk chair. Apartments also include a sofa, coffee table, lamp, dining table and chairs. Current residents living in graduate housing who are signing a 2022-23 Graduate Residence License Agreement can continue to keep their own furniture for one additional year. Please note that this does not apply to students moving to 580 Commonwealth Avenue as these apartments will be fully furnished.

You should pack pillows, full-size bed sheets, a bedspread, blankets, and towels.

Our graduate residences have either private or shared kitchens, and are stocked with a refrigerator and a stove. Though you’ll need to bring your own cooking utensils, dishes, silverware, and cleaning supplies.

Power strips are allowed as long as they meet the following specifications:

  • 15 amps rating
  • 14-gauge wire
  • Built-in circuit breaker
  • 1875-watt maximum power
  • UL listed

Power strips must be plugged directly into the wall outlet and one should never be plugged into another power strip. Do not cover power strips with clothing, paper, rugs, or any combustible material. Appliances such as a MicroFridge or a refrigerator should be plugged directly into a wall outlet and should not be plugged into a power strip.

As far as furniture, you’ll be responsible for whatever is provided. Remember, furniture may not be removed from any room, apartment, or common area (unless authorized and moved by BU Housing staff). If any of your furniture is damaged or needs to be replaced, you will be charged. The University will also charge for removal of any non-University furniture that is left in a room, apartment, or common area at the end of the year.

Furniture in the common areas is for the use of students of the floor or house and can’t be moved. Any student who appropriates common-area furniture for their room or apartment may be sanctioned and the occupants of the residence charged accordingly.