Gender-Neutral Housing Room Selection Overview
Students have the ability to create gender-neutral spaces during Same Room and Same Room Pull-In (in eligible residences), as well as during Gender-Neutral Housing Selection where a select number of bed spaces will be available across campus area, room size, room type, and price range.
Students may select gender-neutral rooms, suites, and apartments if they have created a multi-gender room selection group in their Continuing Student Housing Application. We encourage current roommates to communicate with each other about their plans to avoid any confusion.
If you wish to remain in your same room
Same Room and Same Room Pull-In
Students living in eligible suites, apartments, and rooms will have the option of choosing to remain in their same room for the next Academic Year. Within the Continuing Student Housing Application, students may choose Same Room in order to reserve their current room assignment for the next year.
After choosing to remain in their same room, during Same Room Pull-In process, students may choose to designate their unit as gender-neutral by pulling in other students from their mixed-gender roommate group into any vacant bed spaces. There is no limit to the number of rooms, suites or apartments that can be converted to gender-neutral provided it is an eligible residence during the Same Room Pull-In process.
Keep in mind:
- Gender-neutral units must have all bed spaces filled by the end of pull-in process resulting in a mixed-gender unit or all students who do not identify as man or woman in the IAM system.
- Rooms that are not eligible for gender-neutral include Claflin, Rich and Sleeper Halls; the Warren Towers complex; The Towers.
- Suites and rooms within Living-Learning Communities and Specialty Communities (except Global House) are not eligible to be gender-neutral.
For more information on Same Room Selection – Click Here
If you wish to pick a different gender-neutral room on campus
Gender-Neutral Housing Selection
The available spaces will be released prior to Gender-Neutral Housing Selection. The number of spaces will be representative of the percentage of students interested in living in Gender-Neutral Housing.
In order to be equitable to all students participating in room selection, the spaces available will be selected from all areas of campus and span our inventory in price range, room type, and size.
Keep in mind:
- You must have a mixed-gender roommate group or a group of all students who do not identify as man or woman in the IAM system.
- Gender-neutral units must have all bed spaces filled by the end of Gender-Neutral Housing Selection resulting in a mixed-gender unit.
For more information on Community Room Selection – Click Here