Open Research Cloud Initiative
The goal of a Hariri Institute-hosted open research cloud initiative is to create an open production cloud that provides domain researchers with predictable low cost resources and facilitator support while enabling academic researchers and developers in the open source community to participate in the kind of close interactions between research, development, and production operations that has resulted in so much innovation in today’s public clouds.
An open research cloud initiative will provide a regional structure, centered around The Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center (MGHPCC), to coordinate and ensure the success of the local efforts of the projects below with a focus on the academic community and in particular the five partner institutions in the MGHPCC, namely Boston University, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Northeastern University, and the University of Massachusetts (UMass).
It is the first, founding region in a broader open cloud being developed under the umbrella of OpenInfra Labs.
The long-term goal is to replicate this structure all over the world, both inside and outside of academia, with vibrant regional communities that make up a larger community of operators and developers worldwide exchanging knowledge, ideas, and code to make open source infrastructure competitive.
Production Cloud Services
- New England Research Cloud (NERC) – A production cloud currently being developed with professional operations and a team of experienced facilitators
- Leads: Wayne Gilmore (BU) and Scott Yockel (Harvard University)
- Northeast Storage Exchange (NESE) – A production storage service, operated by a professional staff, that is over 20PB today and growing rapidly
- Leads: Scott Yockel (Harvard University) and Saul Youssef (BU)
- Open Storage Network (OSN) – A distributed data storage service to support active data sharing and transfer between academic institutions.
- Lead: John Goodhue (MGHPCC)
- Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH) – HPC/OpenShift cluster for medical research that is working towards HIPAA compliance
- Lead: Piotr Sliz (BCH)
Enabling Research in Cloud
- Open Cloud Testbed (OCT) – A new NSF funded national testbed for cloud research
- Leads: Mike Zink (UMass), Peter Desnoyers (Northeastern University), Martin Herbordt (BU), Orran Krieger (BU), and Miriam Leeser (Northeastern University)
- Red Hat Collaboratory – A partnership between Red Hat and BU to drive fundamental research that has a path to deployment
- Leads: Hugh Brock (Red Hat), Heidi Dempsey (Red Hat), and Orran Krieger (BU)
- Mass Open Cloud (MOC) – A platform for experimental cloud services
- Leads: Orran Krieger (BU), Michael Daitzman (BU), Peter Desnoyers (Northeastern University) and Mike Zink (UMass)
- OpenInfra Labs – A community for operators to publish and integrate prescriptive deployments of cloud services that can be federated
- Leads: Jonathan Bryce (Open Infrastructure Foundation), Michael Daitzman (BU), Bill Burns (Red Hat)
- Operate First – An initiative to expose software as experimental services to real users before releasing it as products. Operations in this environment are also production, staffed by NERC, MOC, and Red Hat engineers
- Leads: Bill Burns (Red Hat) and Marcel Hild (Red Hat)
- BioGrids – A collection of software integration for biomedical applications
- Leads: Piotr Sliz (BCH), Arash Hayati (BCH)