Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
The research convergence we enable at the Institute is grounded upon the communities that we build. We value and are stronger for the diversity, equity, and inclusion in those communities. We can and will do better in this space. Through new processes for self-reflection and planning, we aim to announce goals and actions on this landing page as they emerge.
Advisory Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
On July 16, 2020, Institute Director Eric Kolaczyk announced that he formed a Hariri Institute Advisory Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. The members of this committee are listed below. To be co-chaired by Yves Atchade (Professor, Mathematics & Statistics) and Natalie McKenna (Associate Director of Finance & Administration, Hariri Institute for Computing), this committee has been asked to review and assess the Hariri Institute’s structure and processes and the programs and partnerships that those support, from the perspective of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The committee is asked to focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in general, but with a particular emphasis on race and racism. This initial committee will stand for one year and issue recommendations at the end of that period, which we will make public. Part of their charge, in turn, will be to recommend a structure and agenda for going forward beyond that point, so that our efforts around diversity, equity, and inclusion at the Institute become a regular and persistent part of our day-to-day strategy.
The Hariri Institute plays a critical role at the nexus of research in computing and data science at BU. We are very grateful to all of the committee members for agreeing to help us continue to improve how we do so.
Hariri Institute Advisory Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Members
- Yves Atchade (Co-chair), Professor, CAS – Mathematics & Statistics
- Rhoda Au, Professor, School of Medicine
- Stephen Brown, Asst Director of Administration and Finance, BU Research
- Sheng Huang, Ph.D. Student, Astronomy
- Natalie McKenna (Co-chair), Associate Director of Finance & Administration, Hariri Institute
- Shreya Pandit, Software Engineer, Hariri Institute — SAIL
- Ludovic Trinquart, Associate Professor, School of Public Health – Biostatistics
- Hasini Weerathunge, Ph.D. student, Biomedical Engineering
- Derry Wijaya, Assistant Professor, CAS – Computer Science