Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The research convergence we enable at the Institute emerges from the communities we build. We value and are stronger for the diversity, equity, and inclusion in those communities. We can and will do better in this space. With self-reflection and planning, we aim to announce goals and actions on this webpage as they emerge.
On July 16, 2020, Institute Director Eric Kolaczyk announced the formation of a Hariri Institute Advisory Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Co-chaired by Yves Atchade (Professor, Mathematics & Statistics) and Natalie McKenna (Former Associate Director of Finance & Administration, Hariri Institute for Computing), this committee will focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), with a particular emphasis on race and racism. Initially the committee has been asked to review and assess the Hariri Institute’s structure and processes and the programs and partnerships that those support with a DEI lens.
Committee Charge - Year 1
- Yves Atchade (Co-chair), Professor, CAS – Mathematics & Statistics
- Rhoda Au, Professor, School of Medicine
- Stephen Brown, Asst Director of Administration and Finance, BU Research
- Sheng Huang, Ph.D. Student, Astronomy
- Ludovic Trinquart, Associate Professor, School of Public Health – Biostatistics
- Hasini Weerathunge, Ph.D. student, Biomedical Engineering
- Derry Wijaya, Assistant Professor, CAS – Computer Science
- Brianna Lilly, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Boston University
The Hariri Institute plays a critical role at the nexus of research in computing and data science at BU. We are very grateful to all of the committee members for agreeing to help us continue to improve how we do so.