As a BU graduate or professional student, you have access to a variety of resources to help take care of your physical health. Knowing where to go – and understanding what’s available – isn’t always easy. Get started by learning more about the resources below.
Student Health Services (SHS)
Student Health Services is the University’s health center. When you are not feeling well, Student Health Services is the place to go. SHS also offers information on staying healthy and taking care of yourself.
- SHS is available to full-time and three-quarter time graduate students, regardless of insurance choice, and any student with the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
- Part time students may also be eligible for SHIP coverage.
- Online-only students are not eligible for SHIP, though all students, regardless of status or insurance, are eligible for assistance with community referrals via SHS.
- Student Health Services (SHS) is committed to providing high-quality care, inclusive of people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions. Learn more about gender affirming healthcare services.
- PhD students should refer to our PhD funding section for information on health insurance eligibility.
- Further information is available regarding SHS/SHIP eligibility, and insurance coverage for dependents.
Laboratory Injuries – Coverage for PhD Students
It is important to seek treatment promptly for any laboratory injury or exposure. If the injury or exposure does not require immediate transport for emergency care, PhD students should contact the University’s Research Occupational Health Program at 617-414-ROHP (7647), or report to 72 E. Concord St., Evans 825, which is staffed by specially trained nurse practitioners weekdays 8:30 – 4:30.
ROHP provides medical attention and coordinates aftercare at ROHP for laboratory injuries and exposures without any cost to PhD students. If immediate emergency care is needed, or if follow-up care is needed outside of BU, students’ individual health insurance will provide primary coverage for medical expenses. A pilot program offered by the Office of the Provost may cover up to $2,500 for out-of-pocket expenses or copays associated with the injury. Please note that reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses is available regardless of fault, and does not constitute an admission of liability by Boston University.
If you have questions about costs related to laboratory injuries and exposures, please contact ROPH by phone (617-358-7647) or email (email@example.com) ROHP.
Disability & Access Services
BU is committed to providing equal, integrated access for all members of our community.
GSDM Dental Discount Program
BU’s Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (GSDM) offers the Student Discount Program, with a free initial appointment and discounted treatments by dental students.
Boston University Dental Health Center: Discounted Rates for BU PhD Students
The Boston University Dental Health Center at 930 Commonwealth Avenue is excited to offer a significant discount on their full complement of services for all Boston University PhD students who are not currently covered by any other dental insurance. This offer does not include family members. To access this offer, please call 617-358-1000 to register as a new patient and let them know that you are registering as a PhD student. Please bring your BU identification card to your first visit.