Job Opening at HEAL Initiative – Project Coordinator
BUSPH GH Alum from 2012, Joseph Scarpelli is looking for a Project Coordinator at the HEAL Initiative in the San Francisco Bay Area!
HEAL Initiative is a young, spirited organization that aims to make global health training
across the world immersive, longitudinal, and equitable. Founded in 2014, HEAL aims to
make serving poor populations a first choice for health professionals across the world.
Currently we have nearly 50 fellows across 8 countries including the United States in
Navajo Nation and Oakland. We work in collaboration with local communities and local
organizations. For more information visit, www.healinitiative.org
The HEAL Initiative is recruiting a full-time Project Coordinator to join our small,
passionate, and dynamic team. This position will be based in San Francisco, California.
The Coordinator will provide a variety of administrative and project-based support for a
number of ongoing global health initiatives within HEAL.
Some key responsibilities include:
HEAL Fellow Credentialing
• Serve as point person for fellow credentialing at UCSF and as needed at the
domestic partner sites (in collaboration with site-based faculty/staff).
• Attend trainings from the Graduate Medical Education (GME) office on how to
perform initial fellow appointments, reappointments, and graduation
• Complete certification documents for alumni on as-needed basis.
• Navigate the UCSF system to spearhead the credentialing process for physician
fellows so that they can work at underserved sites both in the US and abroad.
HEAL Alumni Network
• Develop, plan, and implement a strategy for HEAL fellow alumni engagement,
ongoing educational opportunities (in-person and online), and non-educational
gatherings locally and globally.
• Develop the HEAL Alumni Network to ensure continual fellow engagement as
fellows finish the 2-year fellowship.
• Serve as Initial point of contact for HEAL fellows, including day-to-day triage of
questions from fellows, site exchange coordination, and recruitment logistics.
• Manage the fellow recruitment process, including managing outreach efforts to
relevant stakeholders in the medical education realm as well as fine-tuning
internal selection processes.
Media and Communications
• Oversee and maintain HEAL’s social media presence including FB, LinkedIn,
Twitter, Instagram, website, etc.
• Maintain social media presence to target audiences.
• Maintain repository of HEAL photos and videos for marketing and
communication purposes, and work with editing consultants to develop and
carry out a media strategy
• Develop marketing materials that convey HEAL values and reach intended
• Direct Management of two summer interns (marketing/social media).
Programmatic and Administrative Support
• Schedule and coordinate meetings and conferences for HEAL team, fellows, as
well as partners.
• Prepare agendas, emails, meeting documents, and coordinate logistics for HEAL
other projects as time permits and as directed by supervisor.
• Assist HEAL faculty in gathering data for grant and philanthropic proposals.
• Provide logistical and implementation support for key HEAL trainings including
the Global Health Training, Mid-Fellowship Retreat, and graduation training.
Minimum education or equivalent experience:
• Bachelor degree in public health, policy, business, or related discipline.
• Minimum experience: 1-3 years of increasing responsibility in an organization,
preferably a not-for-profit
• Excellent interpersonal and interview skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Access, Word, Powerpoint
• Demonstrated ability to make sound judgment and ability to summarize/report information
• Ability to work with faculty on high-level, time-sensitive, and detail-oriented projects
• Ability to multitask and prioritize well
• Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
• Proven record of reliability and attendance
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure of competing priorities
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex scheduling
• Willingness to travel for HEAL-related work domestically and internationally, including to areas
that are resource-constrained
• Ability and willingness to drive for HEAL-related tasks
• Knowledge of Global Health issues and/or experience working with diverse
domestic and international communities.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and Global Health.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, health care delivery processes, and
• Experience with business and information systems
• Prior experience in an academic environment
• Experience with budgets and financial planning
• Experience with event planning
To be successful as a member of the HEAL team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming
Global Health organization
• Be an incredibly motivated and creative thinker- develop ideas and execute on
• Ability to be self directed and comfortable with an all hands on deck, no task too
• Be humble, diligent and committed to Global Health Equity
• Have a strong work ethic, take initiative, and require minimal direction
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced, hard working and fun environment
Position is open immediately until filled. Please send a cover letter and resume via email
to Project Coordinator Search: email@example.com. Only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
HEAL is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse
backgrounds are encouraged to apply.