Chinese Loans to Africa, 2019 Data Update
In recent years, China has become a highly visible and talked about actor in Africa’s financial landscape. As the economic and political dimensions of China-Africa relations continue to grow and shift, how has Chinese lending to African nations changed over time? What was the state of Chinese lending to Africa prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and how is lending likely to shift in the post-pandemic era?
On Tuesday, March 30, join the Boston University Global Development Policy Center and China Africa Research Initiative at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS-CARI) for a joint webinar discussion and launch of the updated Chinese Loans to Africa Database with new 2019 data.
To begin, Deborah Brautigam, Director of SAIS-CARI, will give welcome remarks and an introduction to the Chinese Loans to Africa Database. Kevin Gallagher, Director of the Boston University Global Development Policy Center, will provide brief remarks, followed by the presentation of the 2019 data update and demonstration of the database by Kevin Acker, Research Manager at SAIS-CARI. Brautigam and Acker will give a short presentation of the policy implications, followed by responses from Grieve Chelwa, Senior Lecturer in Economics at the University of Cape Town and Yan Wang, Senior Academic Researcher, Global Development Policy Center, Boston University. Gallagher will then moderate a Q&A session with the audience.
Additionally, Deborah Brautigam will make an announcement regarding future updates of the Chinese Loans to Africa Database.
- Deborah Brautigam, Director, China-Africa Research Initiative
- Kevin Gallagher, Professor of Global Development Policy; Director, Global Development Policy Center, Boston University
- Kevin Acker, Research Manager, China-Africa Research Initiative
- Grieve Chelwa, Senior Lecturer in Economics, Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town
- Yan Wang, Senior Academic Researcher, Global Development Policy Center, Boston University
9:00 AM EST – 10:15 AM EST