The BU Sailing Pavilion is open for the 2023 season! Come rent paddleboards, kayaks, and sailboats! Buy a day or season pass, get fitted for a life jacket, and be on your way for a great time on the Charles River.
The sailing pavilion offers beginner sailing classes which are open to the public. You can register via the links below. The class offers approximately 9 hours of sailing instruction depending on weather and other variables. Please see course schedules for details about days and times. Shown below are some of the learning outcomes of the course.
Learn to Sail Classes
Ready to set sail? Register here for a Learn to Sail class.Register Here
Students will build upon the skills they learned in BU’s “Learn to Sail” course by learning sail trim, using the jib, using tell-tales, as well as basic racing techniques such as different types of races, buoy roundings, skipper versus crew roles, weight placement, and roll-tacking. Class requirements: Must have taken a beginning level sailing course or have 1-2 seasons of sailing experience.Register Here
Upon successful completion of the Learn to Sail course, students will be able to:
- Explain the principles of good seamanship and safe boating
- Explore a new approach to problem solving, summarized by the phrase, “The next right decision.”
- Properly rig and de-rig sailboats
- Demonstrate familiarity with technical sailing vocabulary
- Tie four nautical knots: square, stopper, figure eight, bowline
- Sail a dinghy in light to moderate wind conditions and pass a basic helm test
- Safely capsize and right a dinghy
- Demonstrate knowledge of right of way rules
Following completion of the course, students will be able to rent and use our sailboats on their own.