Photography and Film
The Photo & Film Request form must be completed by anyone requesting to photograph within the Boston University Fitness & Recreation Center. This form must be submitted at least 24 hours before the desired photo or film shoot. Please be thorough when filling out this form and provide a full explanation of why you wish to film or photograph.
All requests will receive an email response. Please note: submitting a request does not guarantee confirmation for your shoot; you will receive an email approving your request. We cannot approve all requests to film or photograph within FitRec.
Business hours are Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm; weekend/holiday requests will not be addressed until the following business day.
All participants who are to be photographed must first grant written permission to the photographer via the Photography Model Release form*. Please ensure you have copies printed out to bring with you to the event for participants to sign. Any participant who does not want to be in the shot must have the opportunity to move to one area of the room which will not be photographed or filmed. All copies of the signed forms must then be returned to either the Manager or Assistant Manager of Marketing & Communications, PERD Office Suite, FitRec 2nd floor no later than one week after the event date.
*Units, departments, or vendors seeking a Photography Model Release form exemption must gain approval from the Manager of Marketing & Communications (email@example.com) in writing prior to the event.
Photography and film policy
The Boston University Department of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (PERD) has a strict no cell phone policy to protect its users from privacy violations through the use of mobile cameras. However, when possible, PERD wishes to comply with students who require filming and photography of facilities and the Fitness and Recreation Center (FitRec) in support of their academic coursework.
Therefore, PERD permits filming and photography in its facilities when it does not interfere with the safety and security of students, FitRec members, employees, facilities, and equipment and avoids conflict with normal use and enjoyment of FitRec facilities, programs, and member services. All filming and photography must be approved in advance.
The stated policies address photography and filming for noncommercial use by individuals who are students and/or FitRec members. Please note, while these policies also generally apply to photographers employed by FitRec whose work will be used for marketing purposes, these user groups are not addressed in this document.
These policies apply to photography and filming in the following FitRec facilities:
- Gerald Tsai Jr. Fitness Center, Barreca Climbing Wall, Dance Theatre, Elevated Jogging Track, Gymnasia, Multipurpose Fitness Rooms, Racquetball and Squash Courts, Track & Tennis Center, Case Center, Sailing Pavilion, DeWolfe Boathouse, Walter Brown Arena, Nickerson Field
- Photographs and films may not be published, sold, reproduced, transferred, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner whatsoever.
- Photography and filming is not permitted in the Aquatics Center with the exclusion of varsity and club sporting events as well as varsity and club sport teams that need to take pictures or film for training purposes.
- Photography and filming is not permitted in the Fitness Center (cardio and weight areas).
- Photography and filming is not permitted in FitRec locker rooms or restroom facilities under any circumstance.
- All photography and filming must be conducted during operating hours and without disrupting FitRec operations and services to its members or limiting access to equipment, stairwells, entrances/exits, and high-traffic areas within FitRec facilities.
- Only handheld equipment is permitted for photography and filming.
- Prior permission by all photography subjects must be secured via the Photography Model Release (photographer to provide).
Boston University reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to withhold and/or withdraw permission to photograph on its premises or to reproduce photographs of its facilities, members, and staff.
Procedures for filming/photography
- A complete Photo & Film Release form must be submitted at least 24 hours before the anticipated time for photography/filming. You will receive approval or denial of your request via email. Please note: business hours are Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm; weekend/holiday requests will not be addressed until the next business day.
- Check in at the front desk upon arrival at the FitRec facility.
- Advise FitRec staff that you have submitted a request to take photographs of the facility for your own personal or academic use. The facility staff will have a copy of the Photo & Video Release Form to verify the approval.
- When entering the various facility space(s) to be filmed/photographed, please check in with the staff on duty.
- Upon completion of the photo/film shoot, check out with the FitRec staff at the front desk.
- Photographers must seek permission from participants at informal sports facility areas before proceeding with photography.
- To take photographs at Group Exercise classes, a request should be made with at least 48 hours notice. Photographers must arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of the class to introduce themselves to the instructor and inform class participants of exact details of the shoot. All participants who are to be photographed must first grant written permission to the photographer via the Photography Model Release form. Any participant who does not want to be in the shot must have the opportunity to move to one area of the room which will not be photographed or filmed.