Latest COVID-19 Information

Parents Do Not Share the Same Household

Students applying for Boston University financial aid are expected, by University policy, to provide applicant information and financial support from both biological/adoptive parents even if they are divorced, separated, and/or do not share the same household.

  • Income, asset, and other information of the student and the parent (and stepparent, if applicable) with whom the student lives most is required on both the CSS Profile™ and the FAFSA.

    Complete the CSS Profile™ and FAFSA with student information and information from the household of the parent the student lived with most during the 12 months prior to applying for aid. If the student lived with neither parent during the prior 12 months, or lived equally with each parent, complete the CSS Profile™ and FAFSA with the parent the student received more financial support from during the past 12 months, or during the most recent year that the student received support from a parent. It does not matter which parent claims the student as an exemption for tax purposes.

    Parents who live in the same household, regardless of legal status, or who reside separately for employment purposes only, are not considered “separated”, and information for both parents must be reported on the CSS Profile™ and FAFSA.

  • The parent with whom the student does not primarily live enters their (and stepparent, if applicable) income, asset, and other information of their CSS Profile™ using a separate log-in. This “noncustodial” parent information will be appended to the student’s CSS Profile™ later. Their information is not required or reported on the FAFSA.

    Submit a CSS Profile Waiver Request for the Noncustodial Parent form if getting a CSS Profile™ from the other (noncustodial) parent will be impossible.
Parents will not be able to view each other’s CSS Profile™ information because they will have created separate log-in accounts. Boston University will not disclose, electronically or otherwise, the income and asset information of a divorced/separated parent to the other parent. When a divorced or separated parent contacts us on a student’s behalf, we ask for clarification regarding their status as either the parent the student lives with most or the other “noncustodial” parent so we can ensure the confidentiality of each party’s personal information.


For more information and guidance, click here.