Wind Chill Warning Friday, February 3, 2023 – Saturday, February 4, 2023
The National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Warning for the Boston area beginning Friday, February 3 at 10:00am through Saturday, February 4 at 1:00pm. Wind chills as low as 30 degrees below zero are possible. The cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.
BU students, faculty and staff are reminded to take precautions against the cold by following these tips:
- Be aware of extreme weather conditions by continuously monitoring media reports.
- Limit your time outside. If you need to go outside, wear layers of warm clothing. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Protect your extremities by wearing a hat (most body heat is lost through the top of the head), mittens (better than gloves), and sturdy waterproof boots. Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
- Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.
If you believe someone may be experiencing a cold-related illness on the Charles River or Fenway Campus, call BUPD at 617-353-2121 or 617-358-4444 if on the Medical Campus; off –campus you should call 911.
Severe cold can also take a toll on our buildings. Here are some building related tips to follow:
- As much as possible, keep doors and windows closed. Wind can drive cold air several feet into a space, quickly freezing waterlines, which can rupture and result in flooding. This can be prevented by making sure that all your spaces are completely buttoned up when you leave the room or building.
- If you live in an apartment-style residence and your apartment is chilly, do notunder any circumstances try to stay warm by turning the oven on and opening the oven door.
- Space heaters are prohibited for fire safety reasons and do not use candles.
Facilities Management & Operations will have increased staffing on site to address any building issues that arise during this time. If your building seems abnormally cold, or you don’t have water on the Charles River or Fenway Campuses call 617-353-2105. On the Medical Campus call 617-358-4144.