Chemical Transportation

Transporting Chemicals Between Laboratories on Campus

The preferred method of transporting chemicals between laboratories is on a clean cart. The materials themselves must be in sealed containers, clearly labeled with the content’s name and applicable hazard(s). The cart must be leak-proof and have at least a 2-inch lip to contain a potential spill and prevent the container from sliding off.

If being carried by hand or transported on a cart that does not meet the requirements above, the container must be sealed, clearly labeled as above, and packaged within another tightly sealed, clean, leak-proof, shatter-proof container OR packaged as it was when first shipped to the laboratory.

Under no circumstances should a car, truck, or other vehicle be used to transport chemicals without EHS approval.

Transporting Chemicals Between Campuses or to Off-Campus Locations

Transporting chemicals over public roadways is strictly regulated on many levels. If you need to transfer chemicals between the Charles River and Medical Campuses or to off-campus locations, contact Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) for assistance.

Under no circumstances should chemicals be transferred in a personal or University-owned vehicle or offered for shipment by a courier or transportation company without EHS approval.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) strictly regulates the shipment of the following chemicals. Laboratories are not allowed to ship the following chemicals without EHS first making arrangements with DHS. If you have any questions, contact EHS.

  • Acetone cyanohydrin, stabilized
  • Aluminum phosphide
  • Bromine pentafluoride
  • Bromine trifluoride
  • Calcium phosphide
  • Chloroacetyl chloride
  • Lithium amide
  • Lithium nitride
  • Magnesium phosphide
  • Methyldichlorosilane
  • Phosphorus pentasulfide
  • Phosphorus trichloride
  • Potassium phosphide
  • Sodium phosphide
  • Strontium phosphide
  • Trichlorosilane