End-of Semester Information from Residence Life
The following was sent to all students in residence over the weekend of April 23, 2022 by Residence Life.
Dear Resident Student:
I am writing today to share important information about the final weeks of the semester and your move out in May.
As we approach the study and exam periods, please keep the following points in mind related to safety and security in the residences:
- Keep the door to your room/suite/apartment locked at all times, and lock your bedroom door when you are asleep.
- Lock your door whenever you leave your room/suite/apartment, even for a brief period. Communicate with your roommate/s about also locking the door when they leave.
- Always take your key and BUID with you when you leave your room/suite/apartment.
- In large halls, you should not sign in a visitor who is not known to you. Remember, you are responsible for the conduct of anyone you bring into your residence. In the small halls, do not let anyone enter your building behind you, as you are responsible for the conduct of anyone you bring into your residence.
- Call BUPD if you see someone trying to gain unauthorized access to your building.
- Do not prop doors open, including vestibule doors and rear doors in the small halls.
- If you experience package or mail theft, or any other crime, please contact BUPD as soon as possible.
Residence Life would like to remind you of the following dates and information regarding your residence hall closing.
End of Semester and Closing information:
- 24-hour quiet hours begin in all residences at 5 p.m., Wednesday, May 4, 2022.
- No overnight guests Wednesday, May 4, 2022, through Friday, May 13, 2022.
- If you are a non-degree candidate (non-graduating student), you must move out of your residence by 12 noon, Saturday, May 14, 2022.
- If you are a degree candidate (graduating student), you must move out of your residence by 10 a.m., Monday, May 23, 2022.
Students who arrange with BU Housing for on-campus summer housing are welcome to remain in residence until summer transition day, Monday, May 23, 2022.
If you are not a degree candidate, or a student who is arranging for on-campus summer housing, and you need to remain in housing past 12 noon, Saturday, May 14, 2022, due to extraordinary circumstances, then you have an opportunity to apply for a move-out extension with your hall/area Residence Life office. Please visit your Residence Life office to inquire about this application process. Please note, applications will be reviewed and extensions are not guaranteed to be approved. Extensions will be approved on a limited basis.
Fresh Fuel at Granby Commons will close after dinner on Thursday, May 12, 2022. The West Campus, Fenway Campus, and Warren Towers dining halls close after dinner on Friday, May 13, 2022. Please refer to the Dining Services website for more information on summer dining. If you have removed any BU Dining ware, cups, or utensils, please return them to the dining hall, no questions asked.
Beginning at 8 a.m., Saturday, May 14, 2022, Residence Life staff will be entering rooms to verify that non-degree candidates without approved extensions are vacating their residences by the 12 noon deadline.
Beginning at 8 a.m., Monday, May 23, 2022, Residence Life staff will be entering rooms to verify degree candidates and anyone with approved extensions are vacating their residences by the 10 a.m. Students transitioning to summer residences will need to move out of their spring residences by 10 a.m.
Please take the following steps to ensure a successful check-out:
- Throw out all trash and recycle your recyclables.
- Close all windows and lock all doors.
- Pack and remove ALL your items. You should leave no property behind when you move out.
- Report any damages to your Residence Life office.
- Return your key/s to your Residence Life office. After business hours, please use the key drop box and QR code outside of your Residence Life office.
Mail and Packages: Before leaving campus, students are encouraged to visit their mailroom and collect any first-class mail remaining in their mailbox.
If you are moving off-campus from a dormitory-style residence, remember to update your home address in the Student Link under the personal tab, Address and Phone section, so that your mail can be forwarded. If you are moving from an apartment-style residence (other than 10 Buick Street and 33 Harry Agganis Way), you must complete a change-of-address form online at www.usps.com. For more information about mail click here.
Parking: Please download and print your temporary Move-Out Parking Permit and display it on the dashboard of your vehicle when parked in approved BU parking locations. Some of the approved parking lots may have a lowered parking gate. The QR code found on your permit can be scanned at entrance and exit kiosks to raise gates during your move-out period. You may also use your phone to capture the QR code for use when scanning to raise these gates; however, your permit must still be printed and displayed on the dashboard of your vehicle.
Bikes: During the first week of May, Parking & Transportation Services will be tagging, removing, and impounding bicycles parked outside and appear to be abandoned, including those with flat tires and missing parts. If your bike is tagged and is not to be considered abandoned, please contact Parking & Transportation Services immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 617-353-2160. Impounded bicycles that are unclaimed after 60 days may be donated to charity. Boston University is not responsible for damage to bicycles, locks, or other property due to removal.
Reminder: BU does not provide summer storage for bicycles. Summer bicycle storage is available through UPS (see below). All bike room access will expire on May 31, 2022, and remaining bicycles will be removed. Community members living and/or working on campus over the summer should contact email@example.com for instructions on maintaining bike room access and ensuring that their bicycles are not impounded.
UPS Storage: Storage is available for students for those needing to store or ship their items for the summer. Please visit the UPS website for details. Any questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students who utilize UPS Storage will be provided with boxes as a part of the cost of using the storage program.
Boxes: The University will not be providing boxes for students during move-out. Please look into the UPS Storage program if you need assistance in storing or shipping items.
Goodwill Not Landfill: The bi-annual Goodwill Not Landfill donation program will run during this spring move-out. Your donations could make this our most successful Goodwill Not Landfill donation year yet, and support BU’s new Zero Waste Plan! Reuse is one of the biggest ways you can reduce your environmental impact. Donate accepted household items in your residence hall lobby starting Wednesday, April 20, and through Thursday, June 2.
Accepted: clothes, shoes, housewares, décor, kitchenware, small appliances
NOT Accepted: mattresses, mattress pads, blankets, pillows, sheets, food, towels, plants, toiletries, refrigerators
Summer information: Spring residents who will be living on campus for summer session 1 will transition on Monday, May 23, to their summer assignment provided to them by BU Housing. All students must be out of their academic year assignments at 10 a.m., on Monday, May 23, so that BU Facilities can clean rooms and prepare for new students moving in later that afternoon. Summer students should prepare in advance for this move and be ready to complete their check-out by 10 a.m., at their spring Residence Life office. Temporary luggage storage locations will be available on campus on Monday, May 23, to store belongings during the interim between check-out at 10 a.m. and check-in. Students will be able to move into their summer assignments from 4 to 8 p.m.
If you have questions regarding end of semester closing, please contact your Residence Life office.
We wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your semester.
Jason M. Grochowalski, M.Ed
Associate Director of Residence Life for Administration