Disability Services may recommend that a student with a qualifying disability be permitted to use a note taker for in-class lectures. Note taking services are subject to the approval of the Dean of the qualifying student’s School or College. The note taker will be paid a $110 stipend per course per student for taking notes.
If you believe your require note taking services, please contact the Office of Disability Services at 617-353-3658 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Procedure for Note Receiver
- You are responsible for selecting a note taker within the first two weeks of the semester. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis. Staff and Faculty cannot be note takers. If you cannot find a note taker, please consult with your professor for a recommendation.
- You are responsible for agreeing to all terms and signing the Note Taking Service Agreement.
- Your note taker must come to the Office of Disability Services to complete the payroll process as outlined below. You are responsible for notifying your note taker that if they have not completed the required paperwork within the first two weeks of the semester, we cannot guarantee payment for the current semester.
- Finally, you must notify the Office of Disability Services immediately if there are any changes in your note taking request, especially if you decide that you no longer need the note taker.
Required Procedure to Become a Note Taker
All students who have been selected as a note taker must register at the Office of Disability Services within two weeks of the beginning of the semester. Note takers who have not completed the required paperwork within that time cannot be guaranteed payment by the Office of Disability Services.
If you have never worked before as a student worker on the BU Campus: When you come to the Office of Disability Services you will also need to fill out an I-9 Form, which requires certain documents to verify your identity. A passport is ideal, but a complete list of options can be found here. You must bring one document from List A, or one document from List B plus another from List C. We can only accept original documents.
For the first two weeks for the semester, the following scheduled hours are available to come in to complete the relevant paperwork at the Office of Disability Services:
- Monday from 3:30 to 4:30 pm
- Wednesday from 10:30 to 11:30 am
- Friday from 3:30 to 4:30 pm
If you are unable to make any of these times, please contact Willow Burke at 617-358-1068 or email@example.com, in order to set up an appointment at another mutually convenient time.
Also, if you have not done so already, set up Direct Deposit through the StudentLink. Instructions can be found here.