Boston University provides students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing with ASL Interpreters and C.A.R.T. Services as applicable for both academic and non-academic purposes.
- Academic purposes include (but are not limited to):
- Classroom lectures
- Course related discussions
- Academic based internships
- Non-Academic purposes may include (but are not limited to):
- Student activities & programming
- Sports and athletic involvement
- Special events on the BU campus
Please Note:It is of the utmost importance that students inform the Coordinator of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing of any request for services at the first available opportunity. There are limited numbers of service providers available and a high demand for this service throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Requests placed with minimal notice may result in either no or only partial services being available.
Requests must be placed with the Office of Disability Services, specifically, the *Coordinator of Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing*, as soon as possible after the student has registered for classes or after the student has made a determination of their accommodation needs. Students must provide personal contact information to include, but not limited to, email address and mailing address for the purpose of confirming service arrangements. Students must immediately inform the Coordinator of any changes to requests or cancellations.
Requests for academic and non-academic accommodations must include the following information as it appears on the student’s schedule or event description:
- Course name, number, section, and/or event details
- Name of instructors, speakers, or event organizers
- Date(s) of the course or event; frequency of course sessions; beginning and end time of assignment,
- Location of course or event. Please include building name, street address, and room number.
- Service providers preferred by the student or those the student wishes not to be assigned.