The Digital Health Initiative provides funding to faculty for the pursuit of digital health research projects, with an annual call for proposals. Please sign-up for our mailing list to receive announcements about upcoming opportunities.
The current Digital Health Initiative funding call aims to support research that examines the leveraging of technologies and methodologies from computing and data sciences to tackle a range of applications related to healthcare systems, from medical informatics to healthcare delivery and patient activation. Innovations at this nexus of technologies, methodologies, and applications hold great promise for improving the quality, efficiency, and accessibility of healthcare, with significant benefits to the economy and society.
Special consideration will be given to projects that incorporate artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) approaches in the development, deployment, and assessment of novel digital health solutions. Such approaches can include tools and technologies that draw from computer vision, natural language processing, machine learning, robotics, human-computer interaction, or combinations thereof to address critical healthcare and health system needs.
The deadline for proposal submission is Friday, April 13, 2018 at 5pm.
- Graduate student or postdoctoral support
- Activities in direct support of research
- Software development through SAIL in support of basic or translational research
Ineligible expenses include overhead, fringe benefits, travel, events, publications, lab work, lab equipment, samples & other materials, and PI/faculty salaries. Once awarded, funds may be carried forward at most one year and by approval only.
- Defining a new area of research, and/or taking existing research in a new direction
- Shovel-ready projects with explicitly named faculty collaborators and/or grad students
- Likelihood of PIs’ success in securing follow-up extramural funding
- Likelihood of significant professional growth of the investigating team members
Proposals will be evaluated by a committee comprised of the leadership from both the Hariri Institute for Computing and the Institute for Health System Innovation & Policy. Funding decisions will be announced in June.
In a proposal of at most two (2) pages in length, please include the following.
- Why is this project important to society (2-3 sentences)
- Project overview (3-5 sentences)
- Project description, including its readiness and dependencies, expected outcomes and deliverables, and potential future extramural funding sources.
- Justification for funding, including how the project meets the selection criteria, and why it is not currently appropriate or ready for other available funding sources.
- Requested budget and justification, subject to guidelines and limitations listed under “Funding Details.”
Submit a Proposal
Please navigate to the Digital Health Initiative Research Award submission form, hosted on BU’s InfoReady submission platform.