International Preceptorship in General Dentistry, Predoctoral
This program is designed for internationally trained dentists lacking a DMD or DDS issued by a dental teaching institution in the United States. The program familiarizes participants with predoctoral clinical and didactic education and the U.S. group practice structure while simultaneously providing the information and skills participants need for the participants to further their dental education.
How to Apply
Click here for an application.
Submit complete application to:
Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine
635 Albany Street, G308
Boston, MA 02118
For more information call 617-358-6882 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program combines clinical didactic and hands-on seminars with clinical observations. As a culminating experience, participants will prepare a case presentation assignment based on a false patient profile.
Criteria for Selection
- Educational background and previous training in dentistry, demonstrated by a degree in dental medicine from a foreign institution.
- Commitment to improve overall didactic and clinical knowledge.
- This program is full-time (Monday through Friday; 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) for one month.
- The program will begin on the first Monday of each month.
- The following months will host a Preceptor: January, February, March, August, September, October, and November.
- Participants will be allowed two sick days.
It is required that all participants are present for the duration of the program. Participants are to sign-in each day. Sign-in sheets are kept with Continuing Education Coordinator in room 308, on the third floor of the GSDM building. Should a participant be tardy or absent they must contact Continuing Education as soon as possible.
Predoctoral Didactic Lectures
Dependent on the academic calendar, participant(s) will attend one session of each of the unique predoctoral courses.
Dependent on the academic calendar, participant(s) will attend one session of each of the unique pre-clinical seminars.
To view prospective courses, click here.
Patient Care Observation
Participants will be assigned to one Group Practice in the predoctoral clinic and will report to the Group Practice Leaders of that group. When not attending a predoctoral didactic lecture or pre-clinical seminar, participants will spend their time observing in the predoctoral clinic, accumulating approximately 100 hours of observation.
Director, Group Practice Experience & Team Leadership
Dr. Matthew Zweig, Clinical Associate Professor of General Dentistry
Case Presentation Assignment
Each participant will present a treatment planning case, based on a false patient profile. Specific guidelines will be provided during the Treatment Planning Seminar, and feedback will be provided at the time of the case presentation.
Dr. Frederick Hains, Clinical Associate Professor of General Dentistry
CAD/CAM Basics (hands on)
Participants will learn the basics of CEREC software and scanning techniques to create a digital impression and to design restorations, and will mill the final restorations for insertion or expedition of the digital impression to a lab. Participants will have the opportunity to use CEREC and a model to practice on after a presentation and demonstration on the technology.
Dr. Afsheen Lakhani, Clinical Assistant Professor of General Dentistry and Group Practice Leader, Predoctoral Treatment Center
The Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine is located on the Boston University Medical Campus in Boston’s South End.
Applicants must do the following to be considered for the program:
- Have a DDS/DMD degree, or its equivalent, from an international dental school.
- Submit a completed application form that includes a curriculum vitae and verified copies of transcripts from ECE.
- Attain a TOEFL score of 90 for internet-based TOEFL or 550 for paper-based TOEFL or higher (if English is the applicant’s second language). Please submit an original report.
- Participate on a phone interview.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $100 U.S. (send in with application or ask for link online). Made payable to: GSDMCE
Please note that visas will not be provided for this program.
Additional Requirements upon Acceptance
After being accepted into the program, applicants must do the following before their arrival at GSDM:
- Submit a complete Immunization Record, including TB test results from within the past three months. Forms must be submitted 1 month prior to the start of the program and participants may not start the program until they have been cleared by Occupational Health.
- Pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 U.S. within 14 days of notification of acceptance.
- Pay the full tuition 14 days prior to the start of the program.
For an application, click here. See below for more information on application deadlines.
Total program fee: $3,600 USD
Deposit upon acceptance: $600 USD
Application fee: $100 USD
Applicants are required to send in the application fee with the application. The application fee will not be applied towards the program fee and is non-refundable. Applicants are required to pay the non-refundable deposit within 14 days of notification of acceptance. Applicants are required to pay the remaining program fee, at minimum, 14 days prior to the start of the Preceptorship.
Payment can be made by credit card via phone or by mailing a bank check. Checks should be made payable to: GSDMCE.
The application fee and deposit fee are non-refundable. GSDM will only issue refunds of any additional payment if written notice is received from the applicant at least 14 days prior to the start of the Preceptorship.
Preceptorship Program Application Deadlines through November 2020
Application Deadline: July 14, 2019
Start Date: October 7, 2019
End Date: November 1, 2019
Application Deadline: July 14, 2019
Start Date: November 4, 2019
End Date: November 29, 2019
Application Deadline: September 6th, 2019
Start Date: January 6th, 2020
End Date: January 31st, 2020
Application Deadline: October 4th, 2019
Start Date: February 3rd, 2020
End Date: February 28th, 2020
Application Deadline: November 1st, 2019
Start Date: March 2nd, 2020
End Date: March 27th, 2020
Application Deadline: April 10th, 2020
Start Date: August 3rd, 2020
End Date: August 28th, 2020
Application Deadline: May 8th, 2020
Start Date: August 31st, 2020
End Date: September 25th, 2020
Application Deadline: June 12th, 2020
Start Date: September 28th, 2020
End Date: October 23rd, 2020
Application Deadline: July 10th, 2020
Start Date: October 26th, 2020
End Date: November 20th, 2020
Acceptance into and completion of this Preceptorship does not correlate with admission to GSDM’s DMD Advanced Standing program or any other program at GSDM.