The Center for Teaching & Learning invites applications for our Graduate Assistant Program. Graduate Assistants will learn about evidence-based strategies for engaging all students through reflective interdisciplinary conversations about inclusive teaching. They will also help the CTL to share these teaching strategies with the graduate student community during the 2021-22 academic year.
Three (3) Graduate Assistants will be appointed to support the CTL through:
- Creating resources: Working closely with CTL staff and each other, they will share what they are learning with graduate student instructors by writing posts for the Graduate Teaching Blog. Depending on the individual’s interest and experience, they may potentially create other multimedia resources for the CTL’s website, such as podcasts, videos, etc.
- Conducting Learning Analysis Polls: During the spring semester, Graduate Assistants will help conduct Learning Analysis Polls for other graduate student instructors.
- Helping with publicity and other administrative tasks: Graduate Assistants will also support other CTL programs as needed, including helping to publicize our events to other graduate students at BU.
Strong candidates will have:
- Interest and experience in teaching at the college level
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Availability to meet every two weeks during the academic year (schedule and modality to be determined by the group)
- Strong communication skills, including skills in writing for a variety of audiences
- Interest and skills in creating multimedia resources
- Dependability and attention to detail
Commitment: Graduate Assistants will work up to 5 hours per week during the academic year on a schedule developed in consultation with CTL staff.
Eligibility: Registered graduate students in good academic standing with at least 1 semester of teaching experience (preferably at BU) are invited to apply.
Please email the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Graduate Assistant – [applicant’s last name]” by 12 pm on 10/13. Interviews (over Zoom) will be held in the following week.
- a CV, which includes:
- A list of your college teaching experience, both formal and informal
- A list of teaching development activities (including CTL workshops and events) in which you have participated
- A statement, explaining:
- Interest in teaching
- Interest and experience in creating multimedia resources, with examples of work in the form(s) of media you are interested in (i.e., video, podcast)
- A sample post for the Graduate Teaching Blog, addressing a common teaching question
- What you hope to gain from working as a Graduate Assistant
- A list of times you would be available for a Zoom interview 10/19-22, and 10/25 & 10/26