Fill out CORI & the Protection of Minors
In solidarity with our mission, many of our programs work to mentor and empower children and youth throughout the Greater Boston Area. In our shared roles as teachers and mentors, we take the protection and safety of the community members we work with seriously. All students who volunteer with programs that work with minors and other vulnerable populations must be compliant in two processes within the last three years:
1) Have a completed and cleared background check through the Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) system.
- CORI forms must be filled out completely, including passport, driver license, or other government-issued ID number.
- CSC staff must see and sign off on a passport, driver license, or other government-issued ID number at the time of submission.
- Each of the four (4) forms must be completed, signed, and submitted on single-sided sheets.
- The information contained in the forms and ascertained through the verification process are confidential.
Please submit CORI forms single sided to the CSC on the 4th floor of the GSU.
2) Have completed the Protection of Minors Online Learning Program and emailed the Certificate of Completion to email@example.com.
Please familiarize yourself with the Boston University Protection of Minors policy, available online and shared at individual program orientations, then complete the Protection of Minors Online Learning Program.
How to access the online learning program:
- Go to https://learn.ue.org/YB50M188772/buProtectionofMinors
- Complete the Registration form
- Enter your first name, last name, and email address and click Register.
- You will receive a welcome email with your username and a temporary password.
- Follow the link in the email to sign in.
- You will be prompted to:
- Enter your temporary password
- Create a new password
- Create and answer a security question
- Once you are logged in, select “Protection of Minors – Boston University” under My Courses, then launch the course by clicking “Launch.”
- A history of your completed courses is available in “My Completions.” You will also receive an email containing a link to your completion certificate, upon successful completion of the course.
- Email your Certificate of Completion to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for Completing Courses
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled for ue.blackboard.com
- Ensure your computer meets all System Requirements specified here
If you have any issues with sign-in or accessing the courses, or if you did not receive your welcome email, visit the Support Portal at portalhelp.ue.org. Or click any Support Portal link on the site.
Students may not work with children, youth, and teens under the age of 18 until they are compliant with both of these policies. Any BU student who, based on the trainings and information available at the BU Safety website, believes a minor participating in a community program with CSC volunteers is at risk is required to report the risk to appropriate authorities. Students should follow the reporting guidelines in these situations and alert CSC and program leadership.