Established in 2011, this award commemorates one of Core’s original faculty in the program, James Patrick Devlin. Awards are given to second-semester Core students who have done outstanding work in their first-year Core courses and who plan to continue onto one or both of the Core second-year course sequences. It was always Prof. Devlin’s strong belief that it is in the curriculum of the second year that students experience the full benefit of the Core. The award consists of the purchase of all books for one sophomore Core class each semester, as well as a stipend of $250. Two students will be presented with an award each year.
To be considered for the award:
- Ask one of your Core instructors to email the committee a paragraph recommending you for the award.
- Select your best paper written for a first-year Core class (CC 101, 102, or 112).
- Email your paper to email@example.com by the due date (announced each spring in the Epic Times and in classroom announcements).
A committee of Core professors will review the submissions and select at least two winners who will be notified in the early summer. If there are more than two outstanding applicants, additional awards may be considered. Winners will be announced at the annual spring Core Banquet. Students with questions about the award or application process can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Prof. Devlin
Dr. James Patrick Devlin (1943-2010) was a philosopher, a programmer, and a teacher through and through. It was his way to examine all of life and then to examine it more, sometimes with hilarity and always with originality, honesty and thoughtfulness. He inspired those who came into contact with him to do the same.
Prof. Devlin pushed the pedagogical envelope, and is remembered by students and colleagues—most fondly, with deep admiration, and even awe—as an outstanding teacher and a brilliant lecturer in the Core Humanities.
Winners of the Devlin Award
- 2020: Ryan Chon and Sabine Ollivier Yamin. Honorable Mention: Xiaohan Wang.
- 2019: Brant Angelo Bowers and Erin Chung. Honorable Mention: Magdalene Farren and Faisal Halabeya.
- 2018: Nicholas Rodelo and Amy Wu. Honorable Mention: Rownyn Curry, Andrew Kelbley and Brady Wright.
- 2017: Nadine Chen and Hannah Kinney-Kobre. Honorable Mention: Emma Geesaman, Noah Lawson and Cory Willingham.
- 2016: Kellen Dorio and Tiffany Makovic. Honorable Mention: Joseph O’Sullivan, Julia Peters, Morgan Richards and Anto Rondon.
- 2015: Kush Ganatra and Abagail Peterson. Honorable Mention: Liam O’Connell and David D. Ortiz.
- 2014: Jennifer Baily and Rebekah Machemer. Honorable Mention: Rebecca Behrends, Ameen Khdair, Rachel Quillen and Alice Xu. Honorable Mention for Creativity: Pietro Scribani-Rossi.
- 2013: Miko Dimov, Sara Herschander, Alison LaFrance, Terry Mitchell and Bryan Purcell.
- 2012: Benjamin Brennan, Paola Peynetti Velazquez and Jackie Kos.
- 2011: Dylan Drolette, Winona Hudak, Megan Ilnitzski, Meredith Medlin, Nicolas Kostelecky and Julia Sinitsky.