To ensure the safety of all graduates and their guests, heightened security measures will be in effect May 18-21 throughout Commencement Weekend ceremonies and events. Anyone who sees anything suspicious should immediately contact the BUPD at 617-353-2121.
Security procedures are detailed below but may be revised as the weekend approaches.
- BU Police and professional security personnel will monitor all entry points to Commencement and Convocation venues.
- All students, faculty, staff, volunteers, guests, and vendors will be subject to screening when entering any Commencement Weekend venue, possibly with a metal-detecting wand or similar devices.
- Guests who are not carrying a bag may use an express entrance lane.
- Only small and average-size handbags, purses, and camera bags will be allowed (no large totes, over-sized purses, backpacks, large diaper bags, or messenger bags). Bag size is limited to 12″ x 12″ x 6″. All bags will be physically inspected prior to entry.
- No other bags, gift bags, wrapped gifts, packages, briefcases, backpacks, or luggage will be allowed in a Commencement or Convocation venue, including Nickerson Field.
- If guests have packages or bags that are not permitted, they may leave them at a “self-check” area adjacent to the venues. While this area will be monitored by security, the University will not provide a claim check process and will not be responsible for packages left in the self-check area.
- Bomb-detection dogs from the Boston Police Department and Massachusetts State Police will sweep specific venues and open areas, including self-check bag storage and checkpoint areas.
- Graduates and faculty should carry their robes into event venues and then dress in designated lineup areas.
We thank you for your cooperation with these important precautions.