Meet Your CGS Student Government

This spring, the College of General Studies Class of 2023 elected new officers to represent them in the CGS Student Government Association for the upcoming year. We caught up with your representatives to talk about their CGS experiences and their plans for sophomore year.

Alan Chau, President

Why did you want to run for CGS student government?

I decided to run for CGS student government because I wanted to give back to CGS, which has already given me so much. I owe much of my happiness and well being to my new life at BU: my great friends, my interesting classes, my trustworthy advisors, my CGS experience, everything.

That being said, I wanted to run for President specifically because I know what it’s like to do everything wrong. I know what it’s like to waste a gap semester doing nothing and what it’s like to struggle making friends or to make a wrong first impression. I know what it’s like to be overwhelmed by schoolwork or to register for the wrong classes. Trust me, I know how to mess up in CGS; I spent the entire gap semester and first four weeks of school messing up. But, after learning how to transition, I’ve gained a new perspective on school. I improved my academics, my social life and my overall well-being. By joining CGS student government, I wanted to make information and resources more accessible, propose policies aimed to help the student body and promote a sense of cohesive social unity so no one would be in that same, confused, anxious and rough place I was in just a few short months ago.

Which of your campaign ideas are you most excited about implementing and why?

By far, I’m most excited to implement the CGS Town Hall. A recurring meeting in which students can voice their thoughts, opinions, and proposals to a larger audience of students who have the same stake in their academic experience as each other. This way, the CGS student government can orient itself more into the realm of informing and improving policy making.

As for events, I’m excited to work on a CGS Olympics Event: an event very much like a “Battle of the Classes” in which CGS teams — freshmen and sophomores — are pitted against each other in games of friendly competition. This is a way that we can promote a sense of unity across CGS classes while strengthening existing relationships.

What has been the best part of your CGS experience so far?

By far, the best part has been meeting the incredible student body. Over my short time on campus, I had the honor of meeting a wide-range of diverse, bright, ambitious, interesting and talented individuals who inspire me everyday to serve them as a president and a student leader.

Bailey Shen, Vice President

I ran for CGS student government because I wanted to use my experience in leadership and management to help set a good example for the current and incoming CGS students. I hope to use these skills to foster healthy and constructive relationships between students and faculty while incorporating a strong sense of fun and community.

I, along with the rest of the CGS student government, hope to expand the breadth of the CGS community and spirit through our events and outreach programs. All of us who ran for a position on the CGS executive board share a common interest and goal, which is to improve the CGS experience. Whether it be through informal meetups or planned social events, I ran for the position of Vice President because I want to use my skills to delegate committees to act in the best interest of all CGS students. I look forward to being able to meet with my team and peers to come up with positive results and resolutions to address the challenges of the coming school year.

Which of your campaign ideas are you most excited about implementing, and why?

I am the most excited to be able to work with so many of my peers. I will largely rely on their advice and proposals, not just because their opinions matter to me, but because the CGS student government is there to exclusively represent the student body, not just those who are a part of the student government. My campaign highlighted the need for a healthier community—a community with a strong foundation that would be able to tackle the hardest challenges. As the overseer of committees, I hope to fully utilize them to encourage community and connection among our current and incoming CGS classes.

While my time on campus was relatively short, my best experiences with CGS have been the positive relationships I’ve had with my professors. Their genuine interest and care for their students and class material have really made my experience with CGS enjoyable. Their willingness to help inside and outside of class truly makes class something that I look forward to every day.

Megan Lau, Treasurer

I ran for CGS Student Government because I wanted to join a community of like-minded students who are passionate about creating the best experience for every student in CGS! Additionally, I ran because I want to ensure that every student feels connected and part of a community.

I am most excited to host events for CGS students that enhance overall student life, including but not limited to volunteer initiatives, themed activity weeks, and more! Stay tuned!

The best part of my CGS experience thus far is exploring the city of Boston through experiential learning events that have allowed me to connect with my professors, friends, and classmates on a more personal level. Back in January, I had the opportunity to listen to the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform and as a former violin player myself, it was fascinating to listen to a professional group perform well-known pieces!

Abby Lowry, Secretary

I ran for student government because I wanted to be able to help be a voice for this CGS class, to do things that the class as a whole wants to do and in light of COVID-19 and the cancelation of London be a part of the solution, or at least offer ideas as to how to make the best of our sophomore year.

I am most excited for the events we have planned for the fall, as well as the welcoming events and introductions for the incoming CGS class.

Although I was not on campus for as long as I had planned, the best part has probably been the people I have met in CGS.

Brandon Yu, Senator

I really wanted to run for student government to be involved. I wanted to be able to make changes and make sure I was proud of the college I went to.

I’m excited to implement changes to the perception of CGS. I’d like to have more people understand what the program itself is, and create a more positive perspective of CGS.

While it has been a short few months, CGS has taught me a lot about community. In my gap semester, I felt disconnected from the college classes I was taking. I was just there to take classes and leave. At CGS, it was different. I couldn’t put my finger on it until I met someone in the CGS lobby. It was a brief five-minute conversation about something I’ve forgotten by now. But in five minutes I felt more comfortable than I had in months of classes.

— Compiled by Natalie Seara