Want to stretch the boundaries your degree with a study in an area of theatre? You’ve come to the right place!

Boston University School of Theatre offers two minors for interested undergraduate students at Boston University: Theatre and Dance. Find details about the programs and declaring your minor below.

Dance Minor

The Dance minor is offered through the partnership of the School of Theatre and the Department of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (PERD). The minor consists of 20 total credits, 10 in required courses, 4 in required dance technique, and 6 in elective courses.


Yo-EL Cassell 617-353-3390, ycassell@bu.edu (CFA students)
Micki Taylor-Pinney • 617-353-1597, mtaypin@bu.edu (non-CFA students)

To declare a dance minor, make an appointment via e-mail with one of the Dance Minor advisors based on whether you are a CFA student or a non-CFA student. Then, submit the CFA Minor Declaration Form below.

Learn More

Theatre Minor

The minor in Theatre Arts is designed for students who want a comprehensive experience in theatrical performance, production, design, management, and dramatic literature.

Completion of the minor requires a 28-credit sequence of courses designed to provide students with a balanced and diverse theatre experience. The minor follows a sequence of an 11-credit theatre core, a 7-credit dramatic literature core, and 10 credits of theatre electives. Students choose a path of study depending on their own desire to explore the disciplines of performance, dramatic literature, or production/design.

Several Theatre minor courses satisfy units in the BU Hub; units are listed in the drop-down menu below.

Intra University Transfer

Students who desire study in the visual arts beyond what is offered through the minor may be able to apply for an Intra University Transfer (IUT) to major in the BA in Art or a BFA in Art Education, Graphic Design, Painting, Printmaking, or Sculpture. Pursuing an IUT later than the fall of Sophomore year may lengthen a student’s course of study. Students considering this should consult with Visual Arts Academic Advising on their plan.

CFA Intra University Transfer