BU Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI)
The Boston University Professional Theatre Initiative (PTI) reflects our belief in the necessity of strong artistic relationships with the theatre profession. PTI provides opportunities for stimulating, creative interactions between participating theatres and the BU School of Theatre community. Our hopes for the future are nothing short of creating models or producing relationships that deepen the educational experience, providing a special path for professional experimentation, and creating new possibilities for the creation of new plays for the theatre. Many of our students, faculty, and alumni are linked with a variety of professional theatres of many kinds, sizes, and missions to provide experience and interaction that serve both the participant and the theatre company itself.
In recent years, theatres as varied as the Olney Theatre Center, National Players, Potomac Theatre Project, Vineyard Playhouse, Boston Playwrights’ Theatre, Williamstown Theatre Festival, Actors’ Shakespeare Project, Pendragon Theatre, among others, have joined this initiative. Project-based interactions have been successfully forged with theatres such as the Guthrie Theater, Woolly Mammoth Theatre, Primary Stages, and the Arden Theatre. In 2012, School of Theatre Director Jim Petosa was named Artistic Director of PTI member New Repertory Theatre.
Often, PTI member theatres provide professional opportunities in acting, directing, and design and/or career development opportunities through internships. In some cases, our interactions with these companies result in new play development and opportunities to conceive new approaches to existent works.
Core PTI Partners
- Actors’ Shakespeare Project, Boston, MA
- Arena Stage, Washington, D.C.
- Barrington Stage Company, Pittsfield, MA
- Bazaar Productions, Inc/The Berkshire Fringe, West Stockbridge, MA
- Boston Midsummer Opera, Boston, MA
- Boston Playwrights’ Theatre
- Cape Playhouse, Dennis Village, MA
- Classic Repertory Company, Watertown, MA
- Company One, Boston, MA
- Gloucester Stage Company, Gloucester, MA
- National Players, Olney, MD
- National Theater Institute, Waterford, CT
- New Repertory Theatre, Watertown, MA
- Olney Theatre Center, Olney, MD
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Ashland, OR
- Priscilla Beach Theatre, Plymouth, MA
- PTP/NYC, New York, NY
- SPACE on Ryder Farm, Brewster, NY
- SpeakEasy Stage Company, Boston, MA
- The Hangar Theatre, Ithaca, NY
- Underground Railway Theater, Cambridge, MA
- Vineyard Playhouse, Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater, Wellfleet, MA
- Wheelock Family Theatre, Boston, MA
- Williamstown Theatre Festival, Williamstown, MA
- Woolly Mammoth Theatre, Washington, DC