The MFA in Theatre Education provides a unique opportunity for early but experienced career theatre artists who want to become professional trainers in movement, voice and speech, or other related theatrical crafts. Theatre Education students and their faculty mentors design individualized programs of study that focus on strong teaching specialties set in a full understanding of all aspects of performance and production. A minimum of two years is normally required to complete such programs of study.
Applicants should have a sense of where they would like their focus to be throughout their curriculum, and seek the interest and approval of whichever faculty member will oversee the bulk of their eventual training. In the final year, each student develops a thesis project that is executed in accordance with the highest professional standards.
Please be advised, we will not be accepting applications for Fall 2021 admission.
Degree & Admissions Information
- MFA Theatre Education: Course of Study
- Accepted graduate students can also apply to the Arts Administration Certificate program for January admission.
- Graduate Admissions Information and Application
- A completely individualized and co-created curriculum with faculty and student, focusing primarily on the interest of the student, their goals and desires, as well as strengthening areas that they may not have had exposure to upon arrival.
- A chance to directly apply teaching skills, done so through working with the undergraduate BFA students within coursework as well as teaching non-majors and minors throughout the University.
- Access to professional teaching artists, actors, directors, as well as faculty members in and around the Boston area.
Average Class Size
- Graduate Students 1–2 per year; varies depending upon class
- Mason Sands, founding member, Company One Theatre
- Christine Hamel, Assistant Professor, BU School of Theatre
- Carrie Ann Collins, founding member, Escape Artists, an international theatre company. Professor of Acting and Directing, UMass-Boston