Program Head: Diane Fargo
The School of Theatre offers a two-year certificate program providing skill and craft courses for theatre artisans and technicians seeking career training. The Artisan Certificate program is designed to further advance those who have already developed skills but are seeking further training for advanced or lead positions within the field.
- 2-year intensive master class education led by Program Head, Diane Fargo.
- Hands-on production work and courses in Scenic Painting, History of Architecture and Décor, Set Design, Color and Design in Light, Fabric Dyeing, Figure Drawing, and Hand Drafting.
- Classes are held primarily at the new Boston University Production Center on Commonwealth Avenue, at the heart of the BU Charles River Campus.
- Students who complete the program will have a strong foundation in the craft as well as enough practical experience to graduate with a substantial portfolio and résumé.
Applicants must contact the Artisan Certificate Program Head, Diane Fargo. Admission requirements for the Artisan Certificate are the same as those for the Master of Fine Arts programs in Design, Production, and Management.
The Artisan Certificate program boasts graduates who have gone on to become members of United Scenic Artists and are currently working in film, television, theatre, and other areas of the entertainment industry.
Recent alumni include:
- Jess Atanas | Freelance Scenic Artist
- Christina Barretti-Sigal | USA 829
- Claire Bretschneider | USA 829, Scenic Artist, Metropolitan Opera House
- Amy Brooks | USA 829
- Julia Buerkle | Charge Artist, Williamstown Theatre Festival and Project Manager, Infinite Scenic
- Tacy Flaherty | Scenic Artist/Public Theater NYC
- Amelia Gossett | USA 829
- Courtney Licata | Freelance Scenic Artist
- Helen McCarthy | USA 829
- Christina McCormick | Freelance Scenic Artist
- Abigal Neuhoff | USA 829
- Samantha Pagnotta | USA 829
- Emily Rosencrantz | Freelance Scenic Artist, New York City
- Liz Schurra | Charge Artist, Daedalus Scenic
- Emily Walsh | USA 829, Scenic Artist, Blue Bloods
- Katie Zeranski | Arts Educator
Follow @butheatre on Instagram! #buscenicpainting