To check the exact dates during a given semester for adding or dropping a student from one of your courses, see the Registrar’s calendar.
- The last day for a student to add your course is two weeks after the semester begins (Earlier add deadlines for Writing Program and foreign language courses are noted in the University Class Schedule).
- Most adding/dropping of courses is done by students online; as long as there is a spot open, any student can sign up for it.
- Please do not sign paper add/drop forms. On the first day, you can tell students who are there and want to enroll that they need to keep checking online for open seats.
- Enrollment limits exist for a reason. Adding extra students may well diminish the value of the course for the students already in it.
- Never promise to add students over the enrollment limit without first checking with your department chair and administrator. In addition to pedagogical concerns, there may be other reasons (e.g., classroom fire codes) why class size cannot be increased.
- The last day to drop a class with no mark on the transcript is at the end of the fifth week of the semester. If a student drops your course after this date, a mark of “W” (withdrawal) will appear on the student’s transcript.
- The last day to drop with a “W” mark is at the end of the tenth week of classes. On your class list for final WebGrading, a “W” will appear in the grade column for students who dropped the course between the start of the sixth week and the end of the tenth week of the semester. You, as the instructor, must assign an academic letter grade to all other students. Instructors may not enter a mark of “W.”