This list provides information, tools, and resources on the Broader Impacts criterion.
National Science Foundation – Broader Impacts
- The Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (2018)
- Perspectives on Broader Impacts– a publication designed to clarify the purpose of the Broader Impacts criterion from a variety of viewpoints, including the NSF, university leaders, university members, and principal investigators.
- The National Science Foundation’s Merit Review Criteria: Review and Revisions– outlines the 2011 revisions made to former Broader Impacts criteria.
- Framework for Evaluating Impacts of Broadening Participation Projects– a report from an NSF workshop on the best practices and policies for evaluating NSF Broader Impacts projects
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)– a source of funding from the NSF that allows grant PIs to set up Sites or request supplements to allow undergraduates to engage in active research.
- A Scientist’s Guide to Achieving Broader Impacts through K-12 STEM Collaboration– a collaborative guide developed to assist scientists in planning Broader Impacts activities in the K-12 age group. Partly supported by the NSF.
National Alliance for Broader Impacts (NABI)
- Guiding Principles and Questions for NSF Proposals– a guiding document to the Broader Impacts criterion for grant proposals
- NABI Workshop Slides– sets of informational slides from a NABI workshop conducted at BU in 2018
- NABI Report: Current State of Broader Impacts (2018) – a NABI report on current trends and Broader Impacts outcomes
Centers for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE)
- Broader Impacts Wizard– a tool designed to help researchers develop successful Broader Impacts statements for their grant proposals
- COSEE Case Studies– a set of interviews with scientists who implemented successful Broader Impacts plans
- Broader Impacts 2.0: FAQs about Revisions to NSF’s Broader Impacts Criterion– FAQs on the 2012 revisions to the NSF Broader Impacts criteria
Other BI Resources
Five Tips You Need to Know to Obtain an NSF Career Award – an article on developing an NSF Faculty Early Career proposal
Georgia Tech – a sample list of successful Broader Impacts statements
#Scifund Challenge – an organization that offers classes and networking opportunities for scientists looking to expand the impact of their research
Broader Impacts at Other Universities
Penn State – Broader Impacts Resource Center
Duke University – Broader Impacts Resource Center
University of Missouri – The Connector
University of California Berkeley – Berkeley Research Development Office
University of Oklahoma – Broader Impacts in Research
Iowa State University – SP@ISU
Carnegie Mellon University – Broader Impacts Resource Connector