Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The BU Center for Career Development places equity, diversity, and inclusion at the forefront of our mission to empower students and alumni. We celebrate all identities and experiences as we strive to support your career-ready skill building and confidence, as well as your engagement in lifelong career learning and development.
We recognize that systemic and structural oppression are real societal challenges. Not everyone has equal access to professional opportunities, resources, and networks. As a career team, we have an opportunity to combat inequality and bias in the world through the work we do with students and employers. At the CCD, we develop programs for and share resources with students and alumni of all identities and lived experiences in order to assist you in pursuing a meaningful career path and realizing your professional success.
Our staff bring unique perspectives to the work we do, and together, we acknowledge that being inclusive and accessible is important, ongoing work. Everyone deserves access to career support. Your sense of belonging matters to us — both while at BU and in your professional pursuits.
Our Commitment to You
We’re not only focused on equity, diversity, and inclusion—we’re taking action. We commit to the following:
Provide a growing list of online career resources, expand opportunities for engaging with employers, and offer a blend of virtual, on-demand, and in-person services to meet you where and when you need us.
Education & Representation
Integrate principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion into our programming, and work to ensure our partnerships with employers and campus colleagues reflect these ideals. Expand representation of identities and perspectives in our programming that reflect our global, diverse community.
Continually educating ourselves to learn, grow, and reflect on how we can do better to be inclusive and equitable in our work supporting you and in our own hiring practices.
Resources at Your Fingertips
You want resources? We got them. Check out this evolving list of resources we’ve collected so far.
- BU + Beyond Blog: Official blog of the BU CCD, offering tips and advice on all aspects of career development
- BU Connects Affinity Groups: Share opportunities and expand your personal and professional network with BU alumni, students, faculty, and staff
- CareerShift: Find jobs and stay organized while searching, plus find BU alumni and other contacts at employers of interest (also accessible through Handshake)
- CCD Events Calendar: Check for upcoming events from the CCD and employers; filter to EDI-focused events by selecting the topic from the list on the right
- CCD Resources Section: Resources related to majors, career exploration, internships and jobs, and more, including resources by identity and affinity.
- GoinGlobal (Country and City Guides): Research domestic and international organizations and careers (accessible through Handshake)
- Professional Clothing Closet: Access free professional attire that will allow all students the opportunity to make the best first impression.
- Yawkey Nonprofit Internship Program: Funding for sophomores and juniors with unpaid internships at nonprofit organizations
Boston University Resources
- BU Diversity & Inclusion: Offers a collection of resources to help you find your community at BU and in Boston
- Disability & Access Services: Provides services and support to ensure that students are able to access and participate in the opportunities available at Boston University
- Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground: Engage in self-exploration and community-building through meaningful shared experiences and programming
- International Students & Scholars Office: Support for international students and scholars studying and working in the United States
- Newbury Center: Support for first-generation students
- Veterans & Military Services: helps U.S. veterans and families manage available education benefits
This Matters to Us: CCD Voices
From the Executive Director
Throughout my life and career, I have made it a mission to work to remove barriers to success for everyone. To do this, we must first acknowledge and appreciate the unique experiences and worldviews of each and every person we encounter. By embracing what we share and how we differ, and welcoming open honest communication, we can all better understand the world around us and be more empathetic of each other.
It is my goal to foster an environment at the Center for Career Development in which the entire BU community feels welcome and where students and alumni are empowered to achieve their full potential without judgement.
Addye Buckley-Burnell (she/her), Executive Director
From Members of Staff
To me, the beauty of a community is in the differences. That is why I commit to making sure all students are seen and heard, so they have the opportunity to make impactful contributions to their community.
May Perriello (she/her), Yawkey Internship Coordinator
As a first-generation college student, I understand the complexities of access, equity, and sense of belonging on a college campus and in the workplace. I am committed to approaching my work through an equity, inclusion, and belonging lens, as every person deserves to express themselves and pursue their career goals safely and without judgment.
Angela Richard (she/her), Career Counselor
The field of higher education should be leading the charge in advancing the mission of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We help craft early conceptions about life, culture, and community. Our own community helps provide greater exposure to the big world around us. We set the tone. It’s my responsibility to push for EDI at BU.
Ben Flavin (he/him), Associate Director, Assessment and Operations