Stefan G. Hofmann, Ph.D.
Director, Psychotherapy and Emotion Research Laboratory Professor of Psychology
- Title Director, Psychotherapy and Emotion Research Laboratory
Professor of Psychology
- Office 900 Commonwealth Avenue, Floor 2
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Stefan G. Hofmann received the 2021 Humboldt Professorship, the most-highly endowed German research prize (5 Million Euros), and the 2021 LOEWE Spitzenprofessur (2.52 million Euros), to conduct research on translational clinical psychology for 5 years at the Philipps-University Marburg in Germany. He will not be accepting any new students or staff in Boston until 2026, but he is currently inviting staff and students to work with him in Germany.
Dr. Hofmann continues as professor in the Clinical Psychology Program at BU, where he directs the Psychotherapy and Emotion Research Laboratory at the Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders. His main research questions include the following:
- Why are psychological treatments, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, effective for anxiety disorders? What is the mechanism of treatment change, and what are the active ingredients? How can these treatments be improved further?
- How can we translate knowledge from basic neuroscience into clinical techniques to enhance therapies for anxiety disorders?
- What are the culture-specific expressions of mental disorders, and how can psychological treatments be made more culturally sensitive in order to enhance their efficacy, dissemination, and acceptability?
- What are the effects of emotion regulation strategies on anxiety and subjective well-being?
- What is the psychopathology of Social Anxiety Disorder? Are there any meaningful subgroups?
His research focuses on the mechanism of treatment change, translating discoveries from neuroscience into clinical applications, emotions, and cultural expressions of psychopathology. He is former president of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, and the International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy. He is also editor in chief of Cognitive Therapy and Research and is Associate Editor of Clinical Psychological Science. For his most recent books see https://www.amazon.com/Stefan-Hofmann/e/B002L2OW5Y/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Psychophysiology of Emotion
- Translational Research