How to Give

Once you have decided what type of gift you’d like to make, there are many means of making it.

To give online with your credit card, click here and follow the instructions on the online giving form. You can make your gift as one payment, or spread your gift into equal installments over a specified number of months. You can also set up a convenient recurring gift; the University will charge your credit card the amount you specify each month until you tell us to stop.

To pay by mail with a check:

  1. Make your check payable to Trustees of Boston University.
  2. Note on the memo line of your check how you would like to designate your gift, or attach a note to that effect. If you do not include a designation, your gift will be used for the general teaching, research, and public service initiatives of Boston University.
  3. Mail your gift to Boston University Gifts & Records, 595 Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 700, West Entrance, Boston, MA 02215

You can double—or even triple—your gift without paying an extra cent.
Find out how.

To make a gift of stocks, please inform Boston University of the company stock/mutual fund you intend to transfer OR the approximate value of your gift and your stock broker’s name and telephone number, as well as the gift designation. You can contact the person listed below or the gift officer working with you.

Your Boston University contacts are:
Judie Norris
Associate Director of Gifts & Records
595 Commonwealth Avenue Suite 700
Boston, MA 02215
Phone: 617-353-6347

Transferring stocks

Gifts of securities can be transferred to the Boston University account by providing the following transfer instructions to your broker exactly as follows:

  • The Northern Trust Company
    DTC clearing #2669 for further credit to: account #26-46112
    Account Name: Trustees of Boston University
    Boston University EIN: 04-2103547

Gift date is the date of receipt in Boston University’s account. Please notify us as soon as the transfer is initiated.

Securities held as physical certificates:
You should send the stock certificate(s) along with a transmittal letter by certified mail to the following address:

Boston University
Development & Alumni Relations
595 Commonwealth Ave., Suite 700, West Entrance
Boston, MA 02215
Attn: Judie Norris, Associate Director of Gifts & Records

You should also sign the back side of the stock certificate or an irrevocable stock power transferring ownership to the Trustees of Boston University. The signature on the stock power must be guaranteed by an eligible guarantor institution such as a commercial bank, trust company, securities broker dealer, credit union, or savings institution participating in a STAMP Medallion program approved by the Securities Transfer Association, Inc.

Gift date is the postmark date as mailed to Boston University.

Transferring mutual funds

Gifts of mutual funds can be transferred by providing the following transfer instructions to your broker:

  • State Street Brokerage Services, Inc.
    DTC clearing #0226 National Financial Services (NFS)
    for further credit to account #AB2 864366
    Account Name: Trustees of Boston University
    Boston University EIN: 04-2103547

Gift date is the date of receipt in Boston Univeristy’s account.

Most mutual funds can be transferred directly to our State Street broker. Your broker should contact the following person at State Street Brokerage to assist with the transfer of Mutual Funds: Fred Menis: 617-664-6278.

Transferring Government Bonds:

Government bonds should be transferred to the Boston University Northern Trust Company account by providing the following instructions to your broker:

  • Northern CHGO/TRUST
    ABA #071000152
    Trustees of Boston University—account #26-46112

Gift date is the date of receipt in the Northern Trust Account.

To have gift payments or a recurring gift deducted from your Boston University paycheck, fill out the form below and return it to BU Development & Alumni Relations.

Download the Gift Pledge Via Payroll Deduction form.

For wire transfer information, please contact our Gifts and Records team.
You can reach out to Judie Norris, Associate Director, Gifts, at 617-353-6347 or

Items of tangible personal property (including art, collectibles, books, equipment) and other personal assets or materials of value may be donated to Boston University. We welcome many gifts-in-kind; information on IRS appraisal requirements of donated gifts-in-kind can be provided to potential donors by Development Officers. Contributions of gifts-in-kind should first be approved by the respective dean, department chair, or director associated with the proposed gift.

If you are 70½ years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit Boston University and receive tax benefits in return. You can give up to $100,000 from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money.

This law no longer has an expiration date, so you are free to make annual gifts to our organization this year and well into the future. Learn more on the Planned Giving site.

What is a donor advised fund?

A donor advised fund (DAF) is a mechanism that simplifies the administrative burden of fulfilling your philanthropic objectives. DAFs offer the favorable tax benefits of giving directly to charities with added flexibility around timing of gifts. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and also facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.

If you have a DAF with Fidelity Charitable or Schwab Charitable, DAF Direct enables you to recommend grants to Boston University directly from your fund, and you can use the box on the left to designate them for any use, such as your school or college.