The Ryan Symposium: Reclaiming Civic Friendship
- 1:00 pm on Friday, June 18, 2021
- 3:00 pm on Friday, June 18, 2021
One-hour Ryan Symposium keynote will be followed by your choice of breakout sessions.
Arthur C. Brooks, Author of Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt
America is afflicted with a “culture of contempt,” says Brooks. It is increasingly common for people to view those who disagree with them as worthless, instead of just misguided or incorrect. This is fomented by an “outrage industrial complex” in media and politics. Through ancient wisdom and cutting-edge behavioral science, Brooks provides a roadmap to the prosperity that comes when we choose to love one another—gaining strength from our differences.
Hardin Coleman, BU Wheelock
Karen E. Bohlin, Montrose School
OPTIONAL DISCUSSION BREAKOUTS (2-3 p.m.)
• The Power of Story to Inspire Civic Friendship
• Civic Dialogue Practices That Promote Courage & Dignity in the Classroom & Beyond
• Educating for American Democracy