Dean Elsbeth Melville Scholarship
ABOUT THE AWARD
The Dean Elsbeth Melville Scholarship was established in 1978 by the Trustees of Boston University to honor Dean Melville’s “splendid and varied contribution” to the education and lives of women at Boston University. Only two scholarships are awarded each year to top-ranked women in the junior class who exemplify the qualities stressed by Dean Melville.
Scholarship recipients receive a minimum of $1,000.00 depending on financial need. Funds can only be applied to undergraduate study.
For profiles on past BU winners, click here.
- Enrolled undergraduate women in their junior year
- Minimum GPA of 3.5
- All nationalities may apply, but only U.S. citizens are eligible for awards greater than $1,000.
- Excellence of scholarship: GPA, coursework, co-curricular activities, research outside of the classroom, conferences, presentations, etc.
- Extracurricular Involvement: sustained engagement in activities, clubs, or organizations that contribute to the life of Boston University
- High moral character and personal integrity
- Potential for future contributions in their chosen fields
Applicants should organize and submit the following materials to email@example.com by March 21, 2023. 12 noon EST.
- Completed Melville Scholarship application form
- Personal statement
- unofficial transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation. Two letters should be academic in nature from faculty who know your work well. One letter should address your extracurricular involvement and contributions. Recommendation writers should send their signed letters addressed to “Melville Scholarship Selection Committee” directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.