Voices of BTM XXVI: Nathan Scott Herzog

Tell us a little about your play.
My play In the Moment is about a woman who finds a mobile phone and in the process of trying to find the owner, obtains information that makes her question whether returning the phone to the owner is the right thing to do.

What made you want to tell this story?
I’ve always been fascinated by the way technology has rewritten the way we conduct our daily lives and interact with each other. We store so much information on our phones: photos, finances, correspondences, etc., that losing a phone can be worse than losing a wallet. Also, the phone itself can be an interaction device, allowing you to converse with another person without having a lot of information about who that person is. This technology paradigm is a fascinating construct for highlighting what our inherent assumptions about strangers and ourselves are.

So if someone considered themselves a good person, a moral person, what would prevent them from wanting to return a lost phone? If they assume the best of a stranger, what would it take to foul that belief? Is it a deep soul searching exercise or is it something that lives just beneath the surface?

Who (or what) inspires you as a writer?
I love live performance. I love the intimacy and immersion of watching a small world unfold on the stage. The best shows give me a sense of deja-vu for years afterwards, as if the memory of the show I had watched on stage somehow intertwined with my own. As a writer, I hope to construct similar experiences for others.

What interests you about the ten-minute format?
Ten minute plays are a great way for me to test out a new idea. In ten minutes I can decide whether I’ve captured a story successfully or if there’s a larger story to tell.

Have you ever been in the BTM before? Tell us about it.
This is my first BTM. A friend who had previously directed my work told me about the BTM and encouraged me to submit something.

What’s next for you as a playwright? Shameless plugs, please!
I’m working on expanding a shorter work about a character who splits himself into two separate persons over an inability to chose between relationships. It started as a short play about dealing with the worst and the best parts of ourselves but I decided I needed to find a way to bring the separate halves back together again, so it’s become a full-length play.

Join us for Boston Theater Marathon XXVI—Sunday, May 5, from 12-10 p.m.! Learn more and purchase tickets