Voices of BTM XVIII: John Minigan

John_Minigan

Tell us a little bit about your play.

A Monogamy of Swans is a comedy about a broken romance between two women, and how the swans in Boston’s Public Garden help put things back together for them. I’m particularly excited for it to be in the Marathon because I love the idea of telling a “Boston story” at the event—none of my previous Marathon shows have been set specifically in the city.

What made you want to tell this story?

One day last summer, my son and I went canoeing. We kept paddling past swans, and we couldn’t figure out if we were seeing the same swans over and over or if there were just a lot of them. It occurred to me that the idea (myth, really) that swans are monogamous might come from the fact that they all look the same to us and because, deep down, we want to believe they are. And that got me thinking about the narratives we construct for ourselves about how and why we love the people we love.

What’s next for you as a playwright?

I’m looking forward to continuing work on The Queen of Sad Mischance, a full-length I started writing a year ago, and also excited that a producer is planning several evenings of backers’ readings in NYC for another full-length. Mostly though, I’m looking forward to a summer of writing after a busy year teaching and directing.

What are you most looking forward to on Boston Theater Marathon day?

I love the sense of shared celebration all day, and I come away mega-inspired to keep writing. Last year, I saw all 50 shows and I’m sad I’ll miss the early sessions this year because of a set strike. Maybe somebody can catch me up when I get there?

Don’t miss A Monogamy of Swans—and 49 other amazing ten-minute plays—in Boston Theater Marathon XVIII on May 8! Tickets