Meet “The Annes”: Melissa Jesser on her roles in ‘Chosen Child’

2014-10-29-CHOSEN_CHILD_006.nef
Melissa Jesser as Anne and Debra Wise as Donna Photo: Kalman Zabarsky

What are your roles in ‘Chosen Child’?

I play the three various Annes of the show: Port Authority Anne, social worker Anne, and Donna’s daughter LeeAnne.

How did you approach and play these characters? Did you discover any connections between them?

The only way I know how to approach characters is by jumping right in. During our first rehearsal, Megan conducted an exercise through which we discovered a base level sense of physicality for our character and how they interact with each other in the space. This kind of work is much of what I did in my acting training at Emerson so it was quite a luxury and joy to be able to use this exercise as a jumping off point. Especially since I, unlike the other characters who switch ages trough out the play, switch entire characters.

What I focused on more so than making connections between my characters was finding the differences. Each of my characters want to save someone, but how does LeeAnne’s desire to reunite Claudia into their family differ from Port Authority Anne’s need to help David reconnect with his sister, Donna? As rehearsals progressed, each of my Anne’s continued to deepen and find their own shape. It’s still quite a challenge to sink myself into a tough love woman from the Bronx and transition right onstage into a mousy social worker, but I love to do it. Isn’t that why many people find passion in the theatre when they first start? Finding the truth and giving integrity to many different characters that are far from who you are. I Feel lucky to be able to explore that in Chosen Child.

You’re a recent college graduate (Emerson College, 2013). What are some of the challenges you face as you work to establish yourself in this community?

Like the majority of fairly recent postgrads, I’ve been on a roller coaster of ups and downs that hasn’t slowed down much since graduating. I think I set myself up for the worst during college through all my frantic meetings with teachers and late night freak out sessions about being thrust into the “real world”, so with that in mind I think post grad life has surprised me in being better than I thought it was. I’m still working to find my place in the community, but that is ongoing and I assume will change constantly as the faces of the community continue to change. There are always  the stresses of overcommitment, rejection, self doubt, being young and not taken seriously, and finding good people to surround yourself with. Luckily, I feel that Emerson prepared me well for all these stresses- as well as they could in an educational setting. The rest I’ve had to start learning on my own, but I’m comforted knowing that everyone else has to learn this too.

What else inspires you artistically?

Often, I find myself largely inspired by my colleagues and peers in the artistic community. I have a very collaborative and curious nature and try to see as many shows as I can because, in my opinion, that is the best way to find things that stimulate your creativity. Theatre is not the only art form that inspires me though. When the MFA had the special quilt exhibit last winter, I went to see it. It was incredibly inspiring to see how vastly different a quilters artistic process is from my own. As an actor, my work deepens and grows with Tim and rehearsal. Where I am on day one is vastly different from the end of the run. Quilters on the other hand must envision their entire quilt prior to even starting it. The symmetry of the squares is not something they can create as they go.  I crave just as much inspiration in my personal life as I do artistic life (not that they are really separate at all, but hopefully you know what I mean). I find this through books, podcasts, walking everywhere instead of taking public transit, and most often through the brilliant children I nanny.

What’s next for you?

I’ll be waking up very early and touring schools in New England performing Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Lady Macbeth in Macbeth, and various queens, fairies, and players in A Midsummer Night’s Dream with Shakespeare Now! Other than that I’ll be auditioning, wondering where the wind will take me, and watching my favorite show Call The Midwife.

Don’t miss Monica Bauer’s ‘Chosen Child,’ now through November 22.  Tickets