Tools for Active Referral to Treatment (ART)
The following materials and Web sites are used for finding treatment services in the Boston area and beyond. For finding other critical services local to your area, the United Way provides information for food, shelter, child care, senior services, rent and employment assistance, and more at www.211.org.
When making referrals with patients, it can be helpful to remember the principles of drug addiction treatment from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA):
- No single treatment is appropriate for all individuals.
- Treatment needs to be readily available.
- Treatment must attend to multiple needs of the individual, not just drug use.
- Multiple courses of treatment may be required for success.
- Remaining in treatment for an adequate period of time is critical for treatment effectiveness.